Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Any late season NY slobs hit the ground yet?

Old 12-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any late season NY slobs hit the ground yet?

What a great deer for sure
Old 12-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Canuck,

Here's another one for ya buddy. This is posted on the ROCmen website. Didn't give a score but says 19" spread, 12" G2's and 8" brows. He's prob. the prettiest looking NY typical that I've seen this year. I'm guessing he'll go a solid 160 net. I believe its from Orleans County.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Holy Smoly that is a giant typical and I agree one of the best I've seen in NY. My buddy told me about tow giant that were shot locally one on canandaigua and one in Victor that are suppose to be huge but I haven't seen them.

I shot a doebuck this weekend, thought it was a big doe and it ended up being a buck that had dropped the bone already couldn't believe it. I spent all day yesterday tracking a nice buck my buddy shot. He and I were in a ground blind. Buck walks in he shoot's I heard the bullet hit, saw the buck jump 10 feet off the ground. We gave him 3 hours tracked him found lots of blood and a bed then he got up we backed out gave him the night. Went back in picked up the track and followed him for 4-5 miles and 6+ hours yesterday before loosing his track in unfamiliar ground. Never seen a buck go that far without stopping. I will go back with my dogs this weekend and see if we can't find him somewhere but it wasn't looking good he seemed to be on a mission.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

Holy Smoly that is a giant typical and I agree one of the best I've seen in NY. My buddy told me about tow giant that were shot locally one on canandaigua and one in Victor that are suppose to be huge but I haven't seen them.
Wouldn't surprise me...they always get some real bruisers up that way.

That's too bad about the "doe-buck" that you shot. How old a buck was he? Was he injured?

Here's a doe/buck that was at the top of my hitlist this season. I've been watching this deer for two years now and I'm 99% sure that its an antlered doe (thus, I've nicknamed the deer "Freak"). I was pleasantly surprise to she "her" alive and well feeding out in my aunts alfalfa field the other night. First time I've seen it since the end of September. Still 100% in full velvet with a 3" sticker/drop-tine hanging down by its right ear. Its tine are longer that in these pics from summer and the right G2 and 3 seems to be curling over at the tips. So, the mystery of this deers sex lives on for yet another year.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fortunatly I shot him on some state ground not my lease land, my buddy and I went to hunt there on a whim for something to do and ended up shooting him. He couldn't have been more then a 1 1/2 or so old he looked to have small bases I would guess crotch or small 6'er something like that. He did have a half dollar size flesh wound about 6 inches about his rear hoof, nothing serious but I figured that might have made him drop early.

Good luck on your heshe deer, nice to know it made it through.