Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Gamelands 52 report 12-6-08

Old 12-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default Gamelands 52 report 12-6-08

Maplegrove side> 38 vehicles ,interviewed 7 hunters. There were some big drives going on. 1 shot fired at a yote.1 junior hunter said he missed a 4 pt he thinks. No deer drug out.
Shiloh road side> 33 hunters ,talked to 2. No shots fired. One gentleman seen 4 doe and let them walk. No deer drug out.Thats what happened here. People were totally disgusted. I passed out cubes of deer baloney for snack food to some.NOT Pa. Doe meat either.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gamelands 52 report 12-6-08

That's a shame. Everyone I'm talking to is saying the same thing out in the western part of the state. I was lucky enough to shoot an 8 in archery and my dad took a great looking 134" 9 opening day but otherwise, not hearing of a lot of sucess.

Cardeer, glad to see you on here man. Just wanted to let you know, I still have the necklace and wear it every hunt. It's brought me some great luck!!
Old 12-06-2008, 04:31 PM

i too still have mine... i wear it every hunt, and when im not hunting its hanging from my rear view mirror in my truck
Old 12-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just moved to Pa... My property backs up to about a 100 acre corn field and behind that is about 500 acres of woods... I've seen deer ever day sice I moved in... Once oct came in, that was it!!!! No more deer siteings... There has been some kind of human activity in this field just about every day since oct... I think the prob is... Pa prob has one of the biggest population of hunters per sq mile in the frigginwhole US!!! To many hunters and not enough places to hunt.... I'll bet opening day of the gun season on public land is a friggin nightmare!!! And also the 8 out of 10 hunters thing
Old 12-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mr. Longbeard, you bring up a very good point here. Face it, the amount of huntable land in this state is shrinking. I'm fortunate that I don't have to deal with public land as I hunt all private land.

I hear the stories or nightmares on public land each season. Its ridiculous. After one or two days of all of these guys tramping through the woods, its no wonder the deer wise up fairly quickly and get the heck out of dodge.

I've been thinking about this for a while now. I think our hunting in this state, outside of hunting private ground, is going in the tank at an alarming rate. At first, I thought that maybe everyone was over reacting about all of the changes taking place. But the more you read, the more you hear, the picture is getting clearer and clearer.

I've heard so many people who own property say they are not shooting does for a while. More and more people who have property and let other hunt on it are now posting it and not allowing general access. It's getting difficult to find a good place to hunt.

The Gamelands, which turn into war zones during gun seasons are forcing deer to live on private property. They're not stupid, they know where they aren't getting shot at and will move to safety if they need to. We see this first hand on our ground. The bordering correctional institue holds a two day slaughter every season. Guess what happens on our ground? We're loaded with deer shortly after and they stay there for quite some time before venturing back to the corrections' ground.

The writing is on the wall people.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

Mr. Longbeard, you bring up a very good point here. Face it, the amount of huntable land in this state is shrinking. I'm fortunate that I don't have to deal with public land as I hunt all private land.

I hear the stories or nightmares on public land each season. Its ridiculous. After one or two days of all of these guys tramping through the woods, its no wonder the deer wise up fairly quickly and get the heck out of dodge.

I've been thinking about this for a while now. I think our hunting in this state, outside of hunting private ground, is going in the tank at an alarming rate. At first, I thought that maybe everyone was over reacting about all of the changes taking place. But the more you read, the more you hear, the picture is getting clearer and clearer.

I've heard so many people who own property say they are not shooting does for a while. More and more people who have property and let other hunt on it are now posting it and not allowing general access. It's getting difficult to find a good place to hunt.

The Gamelands, which turn into war zones during gun seasons are forcing deer to live on private property. They're not stupid, they know where they aren't getting shot at and will move to safety if they need to. We see this first hand on our ground. The bordering correctional institue holds a two day slaughter every season. Guess what happens on our ground? We're loaded with deer shortly after and they stay there for quite some time before venturing back to the corrections' ground.

The writing is on the wall people.
muzzy, its like my yard, i have 7 point,3 point,spike,3 doe and 2 fawns .

i feed them every night,only one that is missing is 7 point, i think he left for LOVE.

hopefully they will make it thru past sat this week, i hope.

after that, they usually head to stateforestland, if i dont keep feeding them.

its costing me a lot of money to feed them corn/alfahfa .

but if i can keep them away from meat freezer gangs, i will spend it.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted a formerly very popular piece of public land and saw only one other hunter, no shots and sufficient deer in the NC region. I actually passed on a legal young buck at dawn on first day. My brother took a 3.5 year old buck there on second day. I will never step foot on a gamelands though. The stories are a bit alarming for me.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: livbucks

I hunted a formerly very popular piece of public land and saw only one other hunter, no shots and sufficient deer in the NC region. I actually passed on a legal young buck at dawn on first day. My brother took a 3.5 year old buck there on second day. I will never step foot on a gamelands though. The stories are a bit alarming for me.
it is shame what has happened to the game lands here in pa. too.

BEST habitat you can ever expect, the PGC does great job on most of them BUT,VERY FEW DEER.

YOU CANT KEEP KILLING OFF ALL DOE AND LITTLE FAWNS AND EXPECT TO HAVE FAIR AMOUNT OF DEER.

for some, meat is all that is driving them and they will kill off every deer they can and MOVE ON.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:52 AM

ORIGINAL: sproulman

i feed them every night,only one that is missing is 7 point, i think he left for LOVE.

Just a week or less ago you didn't have a fawn in your area cause the yotes ate them you said and only had 2 does I believe. Now you got a herd in your yard?
Old 12-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sammy_tat

ORIGINAL: sproulman

Just a week or less ago you didn't have a fawn in your area cause the yotes ate them you said and only had 2 does I believe. Now you got a herd in your yard?
sammy, are you trying to make FUN of SPROUL