Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Backstraps tonight!

Old 10-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Backstraps tonight!

The hunting has been strange in some of my usual spots this season. Got a doe early last week in 2D but I mostly hunt 2B this time of year. After almost 3 weeks and 8 total passed shot opportunities on6 different bucks, a doe finally walked by in range this morning. She came by at 22 yards and The bucks have all been legal 1.5's with one decent 2.5and not quite what I'm looking for butthe does justwereNOTcooperating LOL.

backstraps over the fire anyone?
Old 10-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Backstraps tonight!

Just gt a call from my camp in 2D, he whacked an 8 point out MY stand! I can'tr get up until November. nice 8 w/ 15 inch spread. The deer is hanging w/ it's legs up into the rafters and it's head is on the ground. I will post a pic when I get one form him. He states it is swollen as in rut swollen. He had used the rattle bag and then a couple grunts and the buck just moseyed on up to the stand around 9 a/m/. We call it the condo beacuse it so comfy. Lot's of deer moving because rain coming in tonight in 2D. One down for the camp!
Old 10-24-2008, 06:02 PM

Funny thing. I was golfing today and a buck was bird dogging a doe across a fairway.

The party is getting started.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:04 PM

Shot a 15 inch 7 poiner in 4c the first day and I am dieing here. Going to S. Illinois after halloween. Tick tock tick tock tick

Old 10-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have not been out much at all yet. I did have a 1.5 year old 5-point within 10 yards the other evening though. He had an unusual rack, very tall and straight up likea goat. A fork on the right and just a beam on the left with both brow tines.
My Dad passed a 2.5 year old 8-point.
Good job on the doe, Bob. MMMM, ENJOY!
I'm hoping to hit it hard the remainder of the season. The rain this morning (Sat 25th)told me to sleep in and hit the afternoon and evening for a hunt. That's the gameplan.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice job on the doe.

I've been having a real wierd season as well. Hardly seeing any deer at all, but seeing a higher % of nicer bucks. Not that I have any shots at them. I just want to whack some does the first few weeks and that didn't quite work out as planned.