Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA - group to explore impact of Sunday hunting

Old 10-15-2008, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA - group to explore impact of Sunday hunting

muzzyman88you was right. Reason I say that is you seem to think archers only get a short time to hunt. Truly I don't know a camp anymore that hunts the week of gun. 20 years ago yes, not anymore. On average I beleive if you took a poll, CF hunters only get 1-4 days of hunting in......... I d agree w/hunters only getting 6-10 days in that 4 month (Oct-January) period afield all seasons included. That is the reason for my want of Sunday hunting. Again, I have made an investment in my property in addition to the license fees. I should be able to control my property and manage the hunt as I see fit. The only time the PAPGC will do that is if I open it to public hunting, otherwise i incur the costs. So you are not far from a good idea, and it is probably a livable one, but inbclude bucks and does in your seasons that inlcude all muzzle guns.

Sproul, he has a point on over hunting. I know grouse hunting we have had to only hunt a patch once per year. Still hard getting them up but we see the grouse and wood cock by managing the area. I can't help you with what isn't there. In 2D we have eplenty of deer.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buck Hunter 1, I forgot to comment on the private land. I do agree with you, we should be able to hunt on our own property on Sundays if we wish. I can relate to you. We have over 600 acres of well managed land strictly for hunting. We don't have hikers, bikers or anything like that on our property so safety is not an issue.

I just think its funny how people complain about the overall lack of game where they hunt, but they hammer that area year after year with the same result. Isn't that the definition of insanity?
Old 10-16-2008, 06:20 PM

I don't think it is going to increase the sales. Who in their right mind would buy a hunting license and take a day off work and lose that day pay to hunt an elusive animal and lose that days pay? I think many people are thinking this now a days. The people who do work on sundays sure are not going to I wouldn't think.Especially with the collapsing of our dollar. Can't afford to miss workfor a lucky chance to see a deer.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

again i will ask, WHY IS THERE NOT HUNTING ON SUNDAYS IF WE HAVE A MILLION HUNTERS HERE IN PA?

Old 10-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

Buck Hunter 1, I forgot to comment on the private land. I do agree with you, we should be able to hunt on our own property on Sundays if we wish. I can relate to you. We have over 600 acres of well managed land strictly for hunting. We don't have hikers, bikers or anything like that on our property so safety is not an issue.

I just think its funny how people complain about the overall lack of game where they hunt, but they hammer that area year after year with the same result. Isn't that the definition of insanity?
i agree with you, its private, so lets let sunday hunting on privateland only.

this was brought up at farmers meeting i attended in loganton,pa.

ALL farmers were against idea even tho i felt it was ok on privateland.

most felt they dont want shooting going off 1 day a week, they want REST also and dont want to put up with tresspassers on sunday.

so, there you had me agreeing on sunday hunting on privateland but all were against me and i can see why too.

instead of allowing hunting on sunday for deer, ole sproul suggested we open deer season on sat of thanksgiving week,this would give you EXTRA day ,sat. to hunt, you would get 3 sat,instead of 2 sat to hunt.

no one liked that idea.

sooooooooooo,its hard to get anything that we all agree with.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Every other kind of business or pastime can be conducted on Sunday. Every port can be played, you can buy booze, strip clubs and adult book stores are open. Why should hunters continue to be the only ones penalized?

Public land? We paid for it it should be accessable to hunters 7 days a week. Hikers, mountain bikers, horse riders all have more to fear from mosquitos than they have from hunters. It's more dangerous to go bowling on Sunday than it is to take a hike where people might also be hunting. ( I kinda like the idea of the yuppie tree huggers putting on drives for us)

I'd bet that landowners would be less disagreeable if more Pennsylvania hunters had more respect for private property in the first place. In most states, you dang well better have permission to tresspass on someones land. Here, we have a prevailing attitude that if it aint posted it must be OK to hunt.

The way things are now, A landowner who doesnt want his land open on Sunday would have to post his property against it, placing the burden on the landowner. The law now says we must have written permission but lax enforcement has allowed the old school attitude to persist.

If more Pa hunters had the respect for private property that I see in other states, I doubt that we would have so many landowners against Sunday hunting
Old 10-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Banned

Btbowhunter, if it were simply a hunter disrespecting the land issue, then why would that effect only the landowners approval of hunting on Sunday? You'd think those who felt their land was being abused or their kindness, that they wouldnt permit hunting at all.

As for Sunday hunting legalization, Id like to see it but only under reasonable circumstances. There are far too many doe tags already. They need cut significantly before Id ever dream of supporting Sunday hunting otherwise. Im not real sure that pgc would be willing to do that, since they havent already.

As for the concept of Sunday hunting, I have no problem with it. Ive hunted legal species on Sundays often and also hunted sundays in other states. For me, our deer situation is a buzz killer at the moment.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cornelius08

Btbowhunter, if it were simply a hunter disrespecting the land issue, then why would that effect only the landowners approval of hunting on Sunday? You'd think those who felt their land was being abused or their kindness, that they wouldnt permit hunting at all.

As for Sunday hunting legalization, Id like to see it but only under reasonable circumstances. There are far too many doe tags already. They need cut significantly before Id ever dream of supporting Sunday hunting otherwise. Im not real sure that pgc would be willing to do that, since they havent already.

As for the concept of Sunday hunting, I have no problem with it. Ive hunted legal species on Sundays often and also hunted sundays in other states. For me, our deer situation is a buzz killer at the moment.
I never said that it was the whole issue. Merely that it is a piece of the puzzle.

I agree that the impact of two more "weekend" days in the gun season is something that would need to be evaluated. I would doubt that the effect would be significant in archery or muzzy season.

I understand, I dont necessarily agree mind you, your priority with the deer situation but could we agree that Sunday hunting would help keep license sales up a bit? Something good for all of us no matter what our differing views of the deer situation.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Banned

Maybe. Could possibly help, to what extent, alone, i dont know,but not nearly as much as addressing the deer situation, or preferably both.

However if the deer arent addressed, and ifeven more pressure is put on the deer herdand the herd goes down even more, I would say it very well could be counter-productive after the first couple or few years and hunter loss could go even higher without appropriate adjustments made.