Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

7 less days of bowhunting??

Old 09-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 7 less days of bowhunting??

Sounds like you are crowing over it personally.

Steve

Yeah I had to write in b/c it seems that "NY Bowhunters" and a bunch of others can't seem to be willing to let go 2 early days on average with the new system. What we have gained is a saturday bow and gun opener with this system. no worries about taking your kids out of school now for the opener. Also with the youth bill passed, I will gladly give up 2 days (on average, not 7) to take out my youngest relatives with me. I can deal without two earlyarchery days in order to better give a young kid a chance to hunt the opener with me.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

What we have gained is a saturday bow and gun opener with this system.
Losing 2 days is not a gain in any way.
If the season still opened on the 15th, it would be Weds this year.
If you did not want to take the kids out of school that day, they could still go Sat.
I see no negative in this.

Steve
Old 09-24-2008, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: Newtown

Several years ago the NYSDEC proposed a one week early muzzleloader season for antlerless deer only and an equal amount of extra archery days for the southern zone. The NY Bowhunters shot it down (no pun intended) with fear mongering that the bucks would be illegally shot out and the herd disturbed to the point that bowhunting would be ruined. We are now experiencing the fruit of their labor. Good work.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm so sick & tired of reading others here bashing NYB for their efforts. Especially when they don't have the facts or a clue what their talking about.
1 NYB is the only NYS bowhunting organization fighting for our rights as bowhunters.
2 NYB made an agreement with the DEC to not oppose a Sat. gun season opener in exchange for a earlier archery season opener. The DEC agreed, then turned around, and pushedthis new 7 day muzzleloaderseason in the middle of archery season. The DEC never told NYB of this plan. So what would you expect NYB to do, jump up & down say "Brilliant Idea". This would've obviously been 7 days lost of prime bowhunting.
3 NYB was not the only hunting groups to oppose the muzzleloader season. Many small game hunters were also opposed to it, and many many archers beyond NYB at the meeting I attended.
4 so in return the DEC opened its Sat. gun season, and screwd the bowhunters with this Sat. after Columbus day. I ask for what reason? There is NO reason.

So blame the DEC for its dates proposed, not the only bowhunting organization fighting for your rights.
I also don't understand how others here feel this was a good trade off. There was NO tradeoff. The DEC was going to open gun season on a Sat. regardless. But why did they need to change the opening date for archery season!! I have no problem with the Sat. gun opener. But I have a major problem with taking time away from hunters we once had. Adding some days on after gun season isn't gaining squat. Its only a chance for others & DEC to say well we gave bowhunters added days. Who the heck bowhunts in Dec. in NY!!!!!!!
I'd like to say to the rest of you here that are just realizing the loss of 7 days this archery season. WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL OF 2008. NYB has been asking for our help in fighting the DEC on our lost 7days, and to hopefully prevent it in the future. Theres NO reason why the DEC cannot open archery seasons earlier. For both the North, and South. The north only gets 1 full wk of archery only woods now, the 2nd wk is combined with northern early muzzloader season.
Its your future, so wake up!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BuckAlley

2 NYB made an agreement with the DEC to not oppose a Sat. gun season opener in exchange for a earlier archery season opener.

So blame the DEC for its dates proposed, not the only bowhunting organization fighting for your rights.
I also don't understand how others here feel this was a good trade off. There was NO tradeoff.

1) I love to bowhunt in NY and feel that the season is very generous as it is now and was before.

2) whois this pompus groupthat looks out for their own interests only and feels that they should'oppose a saturday opener' to begin with? Share the woods- with crossbows, and muzzleloaders, and shotguns, rifles alike.

The bowhunters have the prime time in the woods for the majority of the season anyways. I am glad they leveled the playing field and added 2 days us gun hunters can now share the woods with you. Because NYB seems to forget they can use their bows all season long anyways
Old 09-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't believe they added 2 days to the gun season - just movedthe openerto the weekend before. And changed the bow opener for no reason at all - just shortened the season overall with the change. Many gun hunters still don't like the move, but at least the gun season was not shortened. There was ZERO reason for shortening the bow season - none.

And us gunhunters in NY have 3 times the season of many states - Ohio for one.
NY has one of the shorter bow only seasons in the NE or midwest.

Anyone who thinks hunting with a bow in the gun season is anything like bowhunting in the early season before gun obviously does not "love to bowhunt".

Steve
Old 09-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

I don't believe they added 2 days to the gun season - just movedthe openerto the weekend before. And changed the bow opener for no reason at all - just shortened the season overall with the change. Many gun hunters still don't like the move, but at least the gun season was not shortened. There was ZERO reason for shortening the bow season - none.

And us gunhunters in NY have 3 times the season of many states - Ohio for one.
NY has one of the shorter bow only seasons in the NE or midwest.

Anyone who thinks hunting with a bow in the gun season is anything like bowhunting in the early season before gun obviously does not "love to bowhunt".

Steve
I think they did add a few extra days to the late muzzleloader season with this, as we now have 9 days i think for muzzy in the late in the southern zone. I could be wrong on this though as I didn't look it up to make sure like usual, if I am call me out

Us gunhunters should be glad we have that much time in the woods, the heck with Ohio- Got to have a long season for all of us. Thats why I will take my few extra muzzy days. I will be out in the woods almost every day this fall for deer

And obviously I know it isn't the same in all areasto share the woods with guns and never said it was, but if your that hardcore about bowhunting as many of the NYB seem to be,youwill be in the woods with your bow.But thats why there is a shotgun, rifle, and muzzleloader season, of which I love equally as much-
Old 09-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

if you can't get a decent crack at a buck or doe in 28 days verus the 35 days i feel for ya.
Don't worry about me Mr. Boone. I'll get "a crack" at a buck or doe.

Big deal we lose 7 days this year.
When does it become a "big deal"? 10 days? 14?17? What's the magic number of days lost before you become concerned?

I don't understand why they can't just set 35 days for bowseason. Keep the Saturday gun opener (which I could care less about). But just back up the opening day of bowseason to give us the same amount of days each year. Why is that so difficult?
Old 09-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heck BC - keep 35 early days bow only like NY Bowhunter states above and we pretty much agree.
Bowhunting is my 1st love, but close behind is hunting all of gun and mz with my mzloaders.
I don't want an Ohio season either.
And while I agree with much of the NYB org, there are enough differences so that I am no longer a member.

Steve