Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

7 less days of bowhunting??

Old 09-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 7 less days of bowhunting??

if you can't get a decent crack at a buck or doe in 28 days verus the 35 days i feel for ya.

Big deal we lose 7 days this year.

Its due to the saturday gun opener, but you get more total bow days in the woods with this system, compared with the old system.(if you take advantage of the late bow season too) check out the DEC website for future bow season dates
Old 09-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

hey guy's we had a sat opener for gun last year, why is it differant this season?
Old 09-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its due to the saturday gun opener, but you get more total bow days in the woods with this system, compared with the old system.(if you take advantage of the late bow season too) check out the DEC website for future bow season dates
No - the gun season now opens 2 days earlier - the Saturday before Thanksgiving rather then the Monday before.

Bow season used to be 10/15 - it is now the Saturday after Columbus Day - causing the short season this year and will repeat the sam within the next few years.

Gun season is a fixed number of days each year - no reason bow cannot be the same.

Steve
Old 09-19-2008, 04:11 AM
Fork Horn

thanks Steve, i see what is going on here now, it sucks, they should have made the bow sat opener a week before..which would have added a few days.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ahh ignorance is bliss isn't?
Old 09-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Spike

Several years ago the NYSDEC proposed a one week early muzzleloader season for antlerless deer only and an equal amount of extra archery days for the southern zone. The NY Bowhunters shot it down (no pun intended) with fear mongering that the bucks would be illegally shot out and the herd disturbed to the point that bowhunting would be ruined. We are now experiencing the fruit of their labor. Good work.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

The early muzzleloader season as proposed would have greatly disturbed the herd so bowhunting would have been made even harder.
People that bowhunt understand that.

Steve
Old 09-23-2008, 09:42 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Ahh ignorance is bliss isn't?
Charlie- Ihave beenwell aware of why we have seven days less to hunt this year long before this post was started.And I'mnot ignorant..
If you will take the time to read the following web page I will post, you will see that the number of days fluctuated before and after the regulation change to a saturday bow and gun opener to get more people in the woods- a good move in my opinion. the new regular bow season system has 2 days less than what used to be on average, but the late season is made that much more longer with the new seasonto more than make up the average loss in early bow season days. Not to mention you can hunt the entire gun season with a bow if you wish.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/43741.html

I am not sure why everyone is whining about this in New york now, when I knew about it years ago when the system was put into place.

But, like you said, Ignorance is bliss!!!!

Old 09-24-2008, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not sure why everyone is whining about this in New york now, when I knew about it years ago when the system was put into place.
No one is whining - they are stating their displeasure with a system that netted fewer days for the early bow season.
Added days to the season's end is a different issue entirely
And many where stating that same displeasure with the plan prior to its implimentation.
Not agreeing with a plan and saying so is not whining - it is giving an opinion.
Sounds like you are crowing over it personally.

Steve

Old 09-24-2008, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Newtown

Several years ago the NYSDEC proposed a one week early muzzleloader season for antlerless deer only and an equal amount of extra archery days for the southern zone. The NY Bowhunters shot it down (no pun intended) with fear mongering that the bucks would be illegally shot out and the herd disturbed to the point that bowhunting would be ruined. We are now experiencing the fruit of their labor. Good work.

The same " NY bowhunters" that so vehemently oppose crossbows?
What a bunch of jerks, might as well be the antis imo.[:@]

Quick Reply: 7 less days of bowhunting??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.