Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa doe permits.. anyone know the deadline?

Old 09-22-2008, 09:20 PM
RSB
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pa doe permits.. anyone know the deadline?

You disagreed with the PS deer densities for 2G and the harvest rates for 2G.
Nope, not true.

Just because I don’t agree with your twisted version of the data certainly doesn’t mean I disagree with the game Commission’s data.

I have never disagreed with the harvest rates either since they are the posted results from the harvest estimates. It is just that either fail to understand the data or intentionally twist it suit your misguided mission.

You attributed the reduction in the herd in 2G to low fawn recruitment when the PGC's plan was to reduce the herd by harvesting more adult doe which is exactly what happened.

The reduction in deer numbers was most certainly the result of few surviving fawns following the two harsh winters. Otherwise the deer population would have bounced right back like it did in the past when we had equally high and even higher antler less harvests in units 2G and 2F. The fact is the deer are proving that they can’t live in populations higher then the existing wintering grounds habitat during harsh winter years.

You didn't understand the criteria for the forest health surveys and you didn't know that the PGC was still using population estimates to establish antlerless allocations.

Nope it is most certainly you that doesn’t the forest evaluation survey methods or what their significance is.

Yes, I know there are still deer population estimates and that they are used in the process of setting antler less allocations, but you are also very much incorrect in the deer densities per square mile being used to determine a management objective. The management objective fro each is now based on the herd health and forest health data combined with any deer/human conflict issues not on those old deer density goals. Therefore, DPSM has no bearing on the management objectives for any unit even though we know what the number is.

Therefore, there are very valid reasons for questioning you qualifications.

There is no reason for anyone to question my qualification since I don’t make the management decisions. All I do is explain the management direction and objectives for those willing to learn about them. To do that I also have to point out the posts filled with misguided nonsense intended to undermine the sound scientific management practices that would result in the best possible long term future for our resources and hunting.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 09-23-2008, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just because I don’t agree with your twisted version of the data certainly doesn’t mean I disagree with the game Commission’s data.

I have never disagreed with the harvest rates either since they are the posted results from the harvest estimates. It is just that either fail to understand the data or intentionally twist it suit your misguided mission.
The PGC stated that there were 12 DPSM in 2G in 2005 and you disagreed and said there were more than that. Even though the PGC said the harvests in 2G were keeping the herd stable ,you questioned whether hunters were harvesting 25% of the doe when the study showed a much lower rate. Maybe the problem is you don't realize what you are posting contradicts what the PGC experts are saying.
The reduction in deer numbers was most certainly the result of few surviving fawns following the two harsh winters. Otherwise the deer population would have bounced right back like it did in the past when we had equally high and even higher antler less harvests in units 2G and 2F. The fact is the deer are proving that they can’t live in populations higher then the existing wintering grounds habitat during harsh winter years.
The major reason the population declined is because their were over 10,000 adult doe producing fawns after the 2003 season. The allocation of 52K tags in 2003 and 2004 was designed to reduce the herd and it succeeded. For you to claim the reduction was due to poor fawn survival rates is once again disagreeing with the PGC experts.
There is no reason for anyone to question my qualification since I don’t make the management decisions. All I do is explain the management direction and objectives for those willing to learn about them. To do that I also have to point out the posts filled with misguided nonsense intended to undermine the sound scientific management practices that would result in the best possible long term future for our resources and hunting.

Then there is no reason for you ,BT or anyone else to question my qualifications , since I don't make management decisions either. Just as you feel a need to point out the posts that are filled with misguided nonsense,so do I, we just disagree about who is posting the nonsense.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got mine last week like i said and can hardly wait to get out in the woods for straps! Litle Olio, garlik and cast skillet, m-m-m-m! Anyone else get their license for the WMU they requested?/
Old 09-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Banned

RSB, I dont believe we are "grading on a curve" at all, due to anything. The herd is either healthy or its not. I dont think the parameters were stretched to accomadate better ratings...When seeing what other states consider acceptable, Id say we are in the range that encompasses most middle ground on average.. Not as high as the ag. richest areas and not as low as the poorer areas due to habitat or them having actually carried too many deer.

I also dont believe for a half a second that we are or should be managing the herd based on a harsh winter. There is absolutely no reason to think we should or would have "good" ratings on reproduction after a harsh winter of long lasting snowcover andbelow normaltemperatures...For the rating to drop then the following year would only be EXPECTED.

Buckhunter1, yes I got one tag back so far.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

im in 5c
Old 09-23-2008, 06:28 PM

yeah got my 2 for 2a can't wait