Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

WV Hunting Lease???

Old 11-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: WV Hunting Lease???

I would be more than happy to buy my own land,but think about it,if I don't have the money to lease property exactly where would I get it to buy some ??????
Old 11-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Spike

Wish we all could, the trouble is it is going for $5000+ an acre, forestland in large tract is $2000 a acre. Now I am not sure but don't a quarter mill laying around to buy a recreational property with a potential for a timber investment. That is the point of leasing, but I agree with you on the lease rate and your point is well heard on buy your own, just the middle class can't afford their own property anymore. I am from Pocahontas County originially. The 3rd largest county in the state, and the least in population. Mostly national forest. No industry or economy other then logging or sawmill labor. Land sells for $10,000 a acre for all tracts, not just your 1 acre house lot. So, land prices are being driven up because of city folks looking for that nature retreat. So, again it comes down to the middle class that can't afford a good piece of hunting ground.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

Anybody out there got a couple of grand to lend a feller so he can go huntin ?????
Old 11-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Spike

fellas2, have you seen the jeff foxworthy skit? I loved it! It goes something like this (prices and listing isn'texact, but you get the point).

"My wife hammered me the other day about me going hunting every weekend. I broke it down to her like this. I am doing it to take care of my family to put some of the finest, highest priced meat on the table. See look at this.
[ul][*]I have $2000 a year in my hunting lease[*]I had to have a ATV for the lease and to get the game out of the woods and it cost me $8000[*]I had to get a new rifle which cost me $600[*]I had to get a scope for the new deer riffle which cost me $300[*]I had to get new set of camo which cost me $150[*]New hunting boots cost me $100[*]Ammo to kill the meat for the table $20[*]Gas to drive to the lease every weekend, cost me $200 a hunting season[/ul]
Now if you total that up it $11370 total. If i am lucky enough I bring home 50lbs of meat. Doing the math that means that I am putting $227.40 per pound meat on our dinner table. That is some really good meat, and that is why I go hunting every weekend."

Boy now isnt that the truth!!!! Perfect for this discussion!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eerdog

You are saying that if a guy is driving a $40K truck and has a new Polaris in the back then he should pay?

No. That is not what I am saying.

What I said was that I drive a $5,000 truck so that I have the money to buy the property when the opportunity arises. Life is full of choices. I choose to drive a cheap truck so that I have the money to buy property. A guy that drives a $40,000 truck then he says he does not have any money to buy property. So he expects to do what he wants on my property that I paid for while he drives a new truck. That is what I am saying.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fellas2

Let me ask you a question,why did you buy the property ?
Actually the property was purchased for farming. We picked up an additional 20 acres in pasture, and 20 acres of hay field. It is difficult for a small farmer to make a living. My partner also has a full time job. All the lease money was a supplement to pay for the additional cost of fuel. We spent close to $2,500 in diesel fuel so far this year. As a matter of fact the entire $1,000 was given to the fuel company. And where did that money go to?? Now that is where the GREED is. Not me. I am just a middle class guy trying to make it. Tom.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fellas2

If thats the case,don't whine about the expenses incured while running the business.

Whining?? I am not whining. I pay for my place that I deer hunt. However you might be in luck. It looks like Obama won. Maybe he will redistribute you a piece of hunting land. Tom.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:13 AM
Fork Horn

Not disagreeing anout the oil companies and never called you greedy. What I said was too many people who own property and let people hunt there for free have now become greedy and charge them exorbitant amounts of money for the same priviledge.In a way,they're no different than the oil companies ! Ifoil companiesgouge consumers because they know people have to buy gas,the landowners that charge upwards of $20-$40 an acre for a hunting lease because they know most hunters love the sport too much to giveit up and will try to find the money to do so,where is the difference ?
All both are doing is taking advantage ofpeople in asituation theycan't control.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Spike

So the property and all expenses accordingly are considered business expenses and a write off. Do you actually farm the property? Farm it for what? Cows? If so then how are you openning your farm of 60 or if I understand you saying you gained 20 acres of hay field and 20 acres of pasture on top of that 60to 4 hunters for 2 weeks and have cows in the pasture field; for a $1000? Or did you buy the property as a "Farm" and are selling the hay as your farm product to consider it as a taxed farm land? So, your truck, tractors, fuel, fence, gate, all is a expense write off then right? Or do you actually not cut the hay yourself but lease it to another farmer to cut and lease the pasture to another farmer to pasture livestock in part of the season? How do you have a "partner" assume a business partner in owning a farm? Just curious there. We will get off your back, but just interesting.

But I agree farming is not a multimillion dollar "career" anymore and that is very, very bad.

By the way I don't make more then $250,000 a year so I am hoping I will get part of the distribution from those that do make more then $250,000 a year. My wife and I both make good money, but still can't afford to pay the bills, and that completely sucks!

Old 11-06-2008, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

eerdog...Why should someone who makes more than $250K give their money to you???? or me????

For the life of me, I will never understand that thinking. I want nothing from no one. And I bought my land while my wife was home with kids....I just saved my money. It's all about priorities.

Quick Reply: WV Hunting Lease???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.