Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

GREAT HABITAT /FEW DEER

Old 07-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default GREAT HABITAT /FEW DEER

in the lycoming county area of pa there is SGL252 state gamelands.

it is best habitat i have ever seen.
corn fields, clover,grasses,acorns,nuts,browse.

you would have to see this.pgc did unreal job here on HABITAT.

i hunt phesants there.

i have not found 1 pile of deer poo.

this covers i believe about 15 miles, not sure.

the hunters i interviewed that live there say its awful.

they said excessive doe killing has ruined the place.

if you get a chance ,take ride to this area.

you can walk as trails are everywhere and areas so thick you cant see thru it and feed everywhere.

SO, JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE GREAT HABITAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU WILL HAVE DEER.

SGL252 IS PRIME EXAMPLE OF WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING,WE ARE OVERHARVESTING OUR DEER EVEN IF HABITAT IS GREAT.

take trip and look for yourself or send me pm andyou can hunt pheasants with me and see for yourself.[:@]
Old 07-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: GREAT HABITAT /FEW DEER

Hell, if i had plenty of public ground with decent pheasant hunting on it, i wouldnt even worry about deer.

How far are you from Dayton?
Old 07-18-2008, 11:00 AM

Same here in 4c. There are food plots all over the place. Nuts everywhere and fields all over the mountain top. Walk those fields at dusk. If you are lucky you might see a deer or 2 in a couple miles.

The advisory group advised the PGC to decrease doe tags and increase the herd. Of course they didn't listen.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

It does not matter how many tags the PGC gives out, if there are not many deer dont fill your doe tag. Everyone should do the same. If there is great deer habitat the deer will be back. Spotting deer this time of year can be difficult, the grass is high, lots of leaves and deer don't move much when its hot out.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't you guys understand it, $$$$ that is all the PGC cares about. You will buy the licenses, you will hunt it, you will bitch and moan, they won't care.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unfortunately all the work that the PGC has done to improve deer habitat on SGLs means nothing,because the herd on SGLs is being managed at the same deer density as DCNR land where no habitat improvement has occurred. The PGC only considers the quality of forest habitat when allocating antlerless allocations and ignores the increased carrying capacity provided by farm lands or food plots.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Hell, if i had plenty of public ground with decent pheasant hunting on it, i wouldnt even worry about deer.

How far are you from Dayton?
dont know.

i flew to cleveland once,boy, that was fun with all bars there,they had bar for every sport.
what a great place to visit.

you are right but i still love to hunt for nice buck.

pittsburg is 5 hrs from me,i had friend drive to LYNNHILL kennels for his lewellin setter and he said he spent 91 dollars on gas,OUCH!
Old 07-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

Unfortunately all the work that the PGC has done to improve deer habitat on SGLs means nothing,because the herd on SGLs is being managed at the same deer density as DCNR land where no habitat improvement has occurred. The PGC only considers the quality of forest habitat when allocating antlerless allocations and ignores the increased carrying capacity provided by farm lands or food plots.
............and since when have farmers been charged with supporting the deer herd?? This is exactly why they have permission to shoot them for crop damage...... Commercial agricultural ground is not considered deer habitat, I believe.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't say anything about farmers being charged with supporting the deer, nor did I say that commercial farm land should be considered as deer habitat. But, abandoned farm land, right-of-ways for roads , power line , gas lines and every other opening in a forest increases the carrying capacity of the habitat. The fact that the PGC does not account for this increased carrying capacity means they are managing the herd at levels significantly below the MSY carrying capacity.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:12 AM

I am extremly familiar with SGL 252. I used to hunt it extensively when I was in college at Penn Tech in williamsport. Back then the deer population was very plentyful. I did the majority of my deer hunting on the land that used to be the town of Alvira, where all the old ammo bunkers are. I find it hard to believe this area has been decimated as you say. Keep in mind the majority of this land is also bordered by allenwood federal prison. And there were days back in 95-98 when I hunted it when you wouldn't see anything but come out to your car and look over on the prison property and there were herds of 50 deer standing on the prison property where you couldn't get to them. Smart deer they were. Since you say you are doing a lot of pheasant hunting I suspect you are hunting the Northern, western and south western parts of the game lands. The portion I hunted deer on was in the south east corner where the town of Alvira used to be before the Govt bought the town for the ammo plant they wanted to put there. I know the deer ALWAYS went to the prison property when pressured. And with all the fields on the prison property they always had plenty to eat. I do have to say I haven't been there in a while. But I find it hard to believe the numbers are that low.

Quick Reply: GREAT HABITAT /FEW DEER

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.