Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

GREAT HABITAT /FEW DEER

Old 07-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: GREAT HABITAT /FEW DEER

ORIGINAL: PA Hardwoods

I am extremly familiar with SGL 252. I used to hunt it extensively when I was in college at Penn Tech in williamsport. Back then the deer population was very plentyful. I did the majority of my deer hunting on the land that used to be the town of Alvira, where all the old ammo bunkers are. I find it hard to believe this area has been decimated as you say. Keep in mind the majority of this land is also bordered by allenwood federal prison. And there were days back in 95-98 when I hunted it when you wouldn't see anything but come out to your car and look over on the prison property and there were herds of 50 deer standing on the prison property where you couldn't get to them. Smart deer they were. Since you say you are doing a lot of pheasant hunting I suspect you are hunting the Northern, western and south western parts of the game lands. The portion I hunted deer on was in the south east corner where the town of Alvira used to be before the Govt bought the town for the ammo plant they wanted to put there. I know the deer ALWAYS went to the prison property when pressured. And with all the fields on the prison property they always had plenty to eat. I do have to say I haven't been there in a while. But I find it hard to believe the numbers are that low.

yes, from what pheasant hunters tell me and no deer poo or very few buck rubs, sproul can see this is not good.

i hunt in area called 4 PONDS,it is not far from prison property as you mentioned.
i also saw very few rabbits/grouse also.

PRESSURE IS JUST TO MUCH.

i asked the PGC why they wont make rule of cock bird hunting only, no females.

you should have seen faces on the hunters when i said that.
same FACES when ole sproul wanted 1 tag and your done for deer.

KILL,KILL, KILL until nothing exists.

we are ruining our hunting and its like OIL ,we never think the spikot will ever shut off.