Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

USP VIP cited for selling deer?

Old 01-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default USP VIP cited for selling deer?

The USP's website lists an officers page and among the honorary life members is one AlbertOswald.

Interestingly one Albert Oswald of Millvale PA, who also happened to be a deer processor at the time, was charged with 10 counts of selling venison illegaly. It's public record that he pled guilty to and was therefore convictedon one count in a plea bargain deal.

Typically, in order for an organization to grant an honorary life membership, one has to do something pretty big for the organization or have been an importantpart of itfor a significant time. Is Mr Oswald a typical representative of the USP's membership and management?I guessat least oneUSP insider beleives that you and I should stop or greatly curtail our deer huntingwhile he profits from selling venison.

The first word that comes to mind here is Hypocryte.

The USP could try to claim that this is just one member, but he is or was obviously an important "member". While they publicly attempt tohamstring sound deer management with lawsuits, I cant help but wonder how many other outlaws among their ranks may be quietly doing their own thing.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: USP VIP cited for selling deer?

Believe me I'm not defending any group or person but this is a case of when standing in a glass house its hard to throw a rock and not break some thing.

No organization is immune from black sheep syndrome.

The P.G.C.'s top man comes to mind. Don Madl...Who by the way is drawing a full pension [:@]

Based on interviews with agency employees, the inspector general also concluded that, between 1988 and 1998, Madl used commission employees and equipment to perform personal services during normal working hours, including: skinning 123 deer shot by Madl; skinning 52 deer shot by Madl's friends and family; plowing the driveway to Madl's house approximately 10 to 12 times; and repairing Madl's hunting trailer approximately 6 times. Additionally, the report noted, that between 50 and 60 of the deer Madl brought into the office for skinning were not properly tagged.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Typical Buck

If not mistaken, all allegations and evidence against Madl were turned over to the Pennsylvania Attorney General's office, who decided not to file charges. Recall that Madl's successor, Vern Ross was the one that announced the investigation of Madl.

It was at least 7 or 8 years ago. Does anyone know why the AG's office declined the opportunity to prosecute Madl?

Not to defend Oswald or anyone else, but the processor in York Co. who Ihad make us some excellent venison bologna, was also oncecited for illegally selling venison. He told me once that he sometimes wound up with several hundred pounds (or more)of bologna, sausage and other processed venision products, that the owners never came to claim and pay for.

He was out thousands of dollars each year from unclaimed venison and sometimes sold the products to regularcustomers who were glad to have extra bologna, etc. Personally, I think processors stuck with unclaimed venison, should be able to sell it to recoup their costs of producing it.

All the WCO would have to do to make sure deer weren't being illegally killed for the sale of venison, is examine the processor's paper work, determine that x number of hunters had brought inthe deer, had not paid for it and allow the processor to legally sell it.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:00 PM

Unless you went to a deer processor and told them that you wanted your deer skinned and cut and put into a box, there is no way of knowing - who's deer you actually got - if you have it processed into bologna and pepper sticks.

The processors in my area - religiously sells bologna and jerky to who ever brings in a deer - reguardless of how much meat you took them.

Several times they have LOST my meat and didn't know where it went to.

Not to mention - all the times that they ruined a batch of meat and then wanted me to bring in another deer to be processed.

I never saw a butcher loose money on Jerky or bologna - because they sell so much of it - they never have any left over. Probably where my ruined batch of deer meat went to.

Now I show up a couple of days before my meat is due to be done and look to see where it is at - and if it is done and make sure that they don't LOOSE my meat.

It's just a damn shame that they sometimes take the best steaks for themselves out of everyones deer and put it in their own freezer when no one is looking.

Processing deer in Pennsylvania is a BIG Buisness!

I took in two hides and skinned my own deer this year and didn't get anything except processed meat - kolbassa, bologna, pepper sticks, jerky and my bill came to $135!

I even took them two extra hind legs - to make sure that they could fill my order - and when I went to pick it up. The guys wife said that there was nothing left over.

You know where it went - right into someone elses order.

They even had the balls to ask me if I wanted them to charge me extra for cutting up the two extra hind legs. Durn Amish theifs!
Old 01-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

DennyF,

Good point. It never occurred to me that unclaimed venison could be an issue but it sounds perfectly plausible

I know there's a way taxidermists can legally sell unclaimed mounts, it seems only fair that deer processors ought to have a legal way to recover their expenses for unclaimed meat.

That having been said, I'll only post what I know for sure but I'd be surprised if unclaimed venison was the issue in this particular case

Bawanajim you are correct, one bad apple doesn't represent a whole organization.And just like it was big news when Madl got busted, this is at least a noteworthy incident. I cant recall whether Madl resigned or was fired but it happened pretty darn quick. I wonderhow OswaldsUSP buddies are handling his little transgression?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, not tooo long ago there was a post either on here or in the firearms section entitled "My deer processor is an idiot" or something to that effect. Just go back and read the horror stories of hunters who feel they have been shafted by processors. For the last several years I've had my deer done by a local part-time butcher who cuts, wraps, grinds and freezes your deer. Only that. One of my buddies went to pick up his deer recently. The processor was not there, but his wife answered the door, and got his "identified" meat for him. What did he see laying all over the butchering tables but huge amounts of bologna or sausage made up. Now, remember, this is not something he offers the customers. According to my friend, it was far more than what could be produced from one or two deer. And the sad part is, we all have been complaining recently about feeling we have been getting short-changed by this guy. I'm not saying he is selling it, but I do feel he is stealing it. What's the difference? Selling or stealing? He has, in the past, offered me ground meat for loins, weight for weight. That's kind of a no-brainer, but where is he coming up with the weight exchange? Someone is losing somewhere. I'm tired of thinking it is someone who took the deal....probably just lost the loins anyhow, with no actual gain in ground meat. Tired of it.........
Old 01-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

Well, you've apparently had a rough life. I've dealt with several processors over the years and never had a problem with any of them.

The processor I refered to earlier, once dropped everything and personally cut up two quartered and partially-boned does I brought down the night I went to get my bologna (that had come from a buck I shot). I didn't ask him to cut up the other deer on the spot, he just did it because he knew I'd driven a ways to get there and didn't see any point in making me come back the next day when, I was already there.

A local processor near my place that I've known for years, once gave me some extra ground venison from the pot in the cooler, after I'd taken a dinky doe in and dropped it off. The guys that were boning deer picked on him for charging me for such a small box of meat. He said if I'd wanted more meat, should've shot a bigger deer, but flopped another pound or two of venison in my box. He's always ground meat and kept it in several big pots in the walk-in cooler, so I know it's not actually "my" ground meat. Now I generally cut my own deer up completely and grind meat myself. If I want bologna, can just take some of my meat down and exchange it for bologna. That's how it works most places.

Also took ourbucks to a guy up in Tioga County years ago and got good treatment from him. Worst deal ever, was the year we had a butcher make deerbologna and my beagle wouldn't even eat it. Made it in some sorta "plastic" skin and it wasn't cured the entire way through.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I cant say I've ever been robbed like some here have but I do remember picking up a deer one time from a local who had a grocery store and was doing deeer in a building he had next door. They didnt wrap so you got the venison in a box sorta covered loosely on top with freezer wrap. The box had some der hair among the meat. That was bad enough but at the bottom we found two deer pellets and they didnt come from my deer. Since then, I've been kinda picky about who touches my deer.

I butcher my own these days but there is one guy I'd use if I couldnt make the time or if it's too hot etc. Thisguy makes great venison kielbassa, and 6 different kinds of snack sticks that are out of this world. I just take him a big pot of boned meat and he charges me by the pound to make what I want. I've made my own jerky and sausage for years.
Oh, and he even has a self serve walk in cooler available after hours for dropping off your deer on those warm evenings in archery season. It's got a surveilance camera so the deer is safe but you just put it in the cooler yourself and call in the morning with your instructions
Old 01-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you guys need to find another processor or, better yet, process your own. It is not that hard. Just takes a little of your time.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Gundeck

Sounds like you guys need to find another processor or, better yet, process your own. It is not that hard. Just takes a little of your time.
Did it for years. Still have my stuff, and believe I'll try it again next year if I get a deer..... You're right..it's not that hard, and you can be a little more picky about how the meat is prepared. I got rid of my old refridgerator smokehouse, so maybe I'll look into buying one of those new high-tech jobs. Still have my crocks, cutlery, grinder and stuffer. And most of the old recipes. Yeah....

Quick Reply: USP VIP cited for selling deer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.