Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

11th hour PA buck!

Old 01-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 11th hour PA buck!

nice buck!

congrats!
Old 01-13-2008, 03:43 PM

character on that buck.. congratulations
Old 01-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, he's caped and I cleaned up the jaws to age him. I used three different sets of aging charts and he's either 4 1/2 or 5 1/2. That means he is most likely the deer I've been after since 2005. If it s him, this isn't near his best rack either.

Now the bad news. I had to dump the meat. He was really run down from the rut but he also had a bad infection. There was over a quart of nasty looking puss all along his side through his chest and stomach muscles. the puss didnt smell bad so I'm thinking he had beaten the infection butthe very large accumulation of puss was still there. Funny thing is that there was no visible woundapparent.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even though he isn't what he once was, it is fitting that you were the one who took him, and it is better that you did as I doubt he would have made it through the winter. What a testament to the elusiveness of deer that he survived all that time, with you of all people hunting him for several years.
He's yours now. You worked for him...you deserve him.
So much better a fate for him, than to die a slow death, I'd say.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: livbucks

Even though he isn't what he once was, it is fitting that you were the one who took him, and it is better that you did as I doubt he would have made it through the winter. What a testament to the elusiveness of deer that he survived all that time, with you of all people hunting him for several years.
Ditto
Old 01-15-2008, 05:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: livbucks

Wow.
You really have a way with words my friend. Until I read those lines you just posted, I'm not sure I had fully realized that this particular buck will mean a good bit more to me than just another nice rack for years to come.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I could only write songs I'd be set for life!

There is an article in the Game news magazine, I'm not sure which one but it was a recent one.
The writer talks about "ghosts" in the hunting woods. Not the kind that go "BOO" but memories and experiences that we have had in the woods. I had to read it several times before it really sunk in.
Good stuff. The game news mag gives up these little gems once in awhile, that's why I like it.
The major hunting mags don't seem to publish these kinds of stories anymore. Shame really.