Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Interesting deer season change proposed for PA

Old 01-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Interesting deer season change proposed for PA

From The January meeting agenda....
The only substantial change for the deer hunting seasons is a proposal to have a
5 day, antlered deer only season in WMUs 2D, 2G, 3C and 4B starting the Monday
after Thanksgiving followed immediately by 7 days of concurrent, antlered and
antlerless deer hunting. The proposal retains the 2-week (12 day) concurrent,
antlered and antlerless season in the remaining 18 WMUs in the Commonwealth. The
change to the four WMU's is to evaluate the impact of changed season length on
hunter success rates for future use as a new management tool.
Deer, Regular Antlered & Antlerless2 Dec. 1 Dec. 13 One antlered, and
WMUs 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 2C, 2E, 2F, 3A, an antlerless deer
3B, 3D, 4A, 4C, 4D, 4E, 5A, 5B, 5C & 5D with each required
antlerless license.
Deer, Regular Antlered only2 Dec. 1 Dec. 5 One antlered deer
WMUs 2D, 2G, 3C & 4B
Deer, Regular Antlered & Antlerless2 Dec. 6 Dec. 13 One antlered, and an
WMUs 2D, 2G, 3C & 4B antlerless deer with each
required antlerless license.

I must admit, I'm not surprised that 2G is included in the proposal but 2D is a total surprise based on personal observations. 2D is still loaded with deerin all theareas I know.

There is also a proposal to allow the taking of wild boars but only when incidental to the hunting of deer, bear, or turkey
Old 01-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Interesting deer season change proposed for PA

If it is indeed meant as a study to determine success rates, then they would need a cross sample of areas with varying density.
Otherwise, I don't know yet what to make of it.

Did anyone notice that the WMU map and info is now missing from the PGC website?
Old 01-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

The cross sampling idea makes sense.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

With all the state forest land in 2G I'm wondering how the DCNR will feel about this.At one time they proposed a three month rifle season.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I need more time to ponder this.

When I first read it, I thought it said a 5 day buck season and that’s it. I nearly jumped for joy. But I knew that was too good to be true so I reread it.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:25 AM

If you can show me how all the areas of 2 D are polluted with deer, I will buy you supper at the best restaraunt in town and a night at the nudie bar of your choice.

Maybe it's just me and maybe I suck as a hunter. But I went for days this year - without seeing a deer and I hunted harder than I did 30 years ago.

One place - where you had a bad day if you didn't see 50 deer by lunch time, I didn't see a deer in 10 hours of hunting!

My one brother didn't get a deer in two years.

My dad and my brother didn't get ANYTHING this year.

All my dad said was that next year, things would be different. He was not ever again going to wait until the last day to shoot a doe!

I don't think that there should be more than 2 days of doe season.

If you can't get a doe in two days, you don't deserve to get one!
Old 01-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt in southwestern 2D and there are plenty of deer here and plenty of land open to the public. You must obviously be in another part of 2D that I havent hunted in the past few years.

I'll be out tomorrow in 2D sitting with my kid and his flintlock. I used my tag today on a nice 2B buck that I'll be posting soon in the Northeast forum. I'll let you know what we see. The one day I've been out in 2D this late season, I saw eight does in an hour and a half
Old 01-12-2008, 06:16 PM

ORIGINAL: germain

With all the state forest land in 2G I'm wondering how the DCNR will feel about this.At one time they proposed a three month rifle season.
2F - Forest County and Elk Countyhas Forest land ( Cooks Forrest and Alleghaney National Forest, but 2D does not.

There is no forest in Jefferson / Indiana / Armstrong or WestmorelandCounty that I know of - below Rt 322 or I 80
Old 01-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you can show me how all the areas of 2 D are polluted with deer, I will buy you supper at the best restaraunt in town and a night at the nudie bar of your choice.
I never said all the areas in 2D were polluted with deer but here's an example of our experiences in OUR part of 2D......

Yesterday 4 of us got together and put on 4 drives that have produced in the past for us. One was a bust but the other three produced 29 deer. All of this was on private land that is not posted and generally open to anyone who bothers to ask (which we do)

Be careful with those promises, The best restaraunts around here are priced OK but the nudie bar of my choice would be clear up in North Bay Ontario
Old 01-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm also wonderinghow the DCNR will add the dmaps with the new season.Will the dmaps continue the entire two weeks or work to the new doe season?It should be interesting.

Quick Reply: Interesting deer season change proposed for PA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.