Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Shooting wild hogs on hold in PA

Old 01-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shooting wild hogs on hold in PA

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

The rule requiring posessing a valid deer tag was instituted a long time ago for good reason. It keeps a guy from walking into the woods with his gun after killing his deer andclaiming to be hunting coyotes, foxes, etc.

It's not clear in the wording you posted above, but I believe that even WITH a furtakerslicense, you cant hunt coyotes in deer season without a valid deer tag in your posession. I'm not claiming to be an authority on this miniscule point. I might be mistaken on this verysmall point but I beleive that anyone who HUNTS coyotes in deer season must have a valid deer tag and anyonewho TRAPS them in deer season or any other time,needs a furtakers stamp

Is there a WCO or PGC staffer who can correct me or verify my interperetation?
BtBow: even with my marlboros with something in them i find it to be very clear what the law states,,,your correct in your assumption that with a furtaker liscense,,,you may hunt coyotes during the deer or bear seasons ,INSTEAD of hunting deer and bear because you have no tag to legally hunt em! But,,,where i tend to want to be argumentative is when you suggest my point may be miniscule or even small,,the law is the law,,,and i spend alot of money every year to hunt,,,just hunt,,,,and nowhere in my budget did i leave room for the warden to write me up with a pi$$load of tickets. so,, this being said,,,i just want to make sure that my assumptions of the laware 100% the same as the wardens and i want you to be clear as well,,,because in your above statement i think you mistyped the wordwith (in capital letters and underlined) for without? i may be wrong in my assumption and if so i apologize.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rem700man

I didnt mistype the with vs without.

I'll put it another way....

It's my understanding that once you no longer hold a valid deer or beartag in those seasons, you are done huntingin that particular season during the daylight hours except for watertfowl. IEif I'm correct) a furtakers license still doesnt give a hunter the right to hunt coyotes during daylight hours once his last deer/bear tag has been used. I may be wrong and thats why I invited any WCO to help clear it up.

A furtakers license is always required when trapping any furbearer including coyotes no matter what season.

The digest clearly states that it is just that. A digest. The digest offers the disclaimer and refers back to the actual game law in matters of interperetation. The waythe digestreads tends to support your position.
I don't have the exact wording of the actual section of the game law covering this issue. My position comes from a conversation with a warden buddy (now deceased) that took place admittedly a long time ago when the law was updated to include the "valid deer tag" provision.

One thing I know for sure. When the "must posess a valid deer tag" rule originally came into play, coyotes were basically a non issue. we had a few but not a realistically huntable population.They werent even mentioned in the digest back then. The rule was instituted because a WCO couldn't arrest a guy for having his loaded deer rifle in the woods after using his tag because he could claim he was"fox hunting" Thats the way it was explained to me. The furtakers license was created long after that and your interperetation may be correct. If you're right, it goes against the original intent on the "valid deer tag" part of the law. But, as we've all seen through the years, many laws stray from their original intent.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Coyotes can be hunted year round without any special lisence.If you want to hunt them during legal hunting hoursduring deer season,you have to have a furtakers lisence and whear 250 sq inches of orange if you don't have a valid deer tag.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

The PGC already has a propoal on it's January agenda to allow the killing of hogs during deer, bear and fall turkey seasons.....

Wild Boar May be taken while lawfully hunting deer, Unlimited
bear and fall turkey.

That was fast. I just can't help but wonder why they can't be taken year round????????
Old 01-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DougE

Coyotes can be hunted year round without any special lisence.If you want to hunt them during legal hunting hoursduring deer season,you have to have a furtakers lisence and whear 250 sq inches of orange if you don't have a valid deer tag.
DougE, I know you generally seem to have a pretty good handle on many PGC policies and regs. Are you sure on this one? Did you verify this with someone on the inside or is it your interperetation?I still thinkthat no oneis allowed tohunt coyotesin deer season once they no longer have a valid, unuseddeertag.Again, I'm basing this on the intent of the law and a WCO's interperetation directly (some time ago) to me.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm positive.They changed the orange laws and the need to possess a furtakers lisence for two reasons.One,guys were coming out of the woods way after legal hunting hours and just saying they were hunting coyotes.They instituted a requirement that you had to have oranage ontwo hours before and two hours after legal hunting hours.I'm not sure what they gained by doing that.They instituted the furtakers lisence during deerseason for hunters that have already filled their deer tags for obvious reasons.i'm 100% positive that you can still hunt coyotes during deer season without a valid deer tag,if you have a furtaker's lisence.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks DougE,

I guess I was wrong. It had to happen sooner or later
Old 01-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

The gamelands right on the border?
Yeah those are the ones.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: wildride

absolut i think i know the gamelands youre talking about its a real big one dont remember the # its been a few years since i was there will have to go up and talk to the niehbor once they get the laws figured out been hearing its getting nuts up there with the yots
That one is a big russian boar that got loose from a game farm not to far from there.I havent heard of any sightings the last year or so.The yotes are pretty bad up there in places.