Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Shooting wild hogs on hold in PA

Old 01-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shooting wild hogs on hold in PA

The rule requiring posessing a valid deer tag was instituted a long time ago for good reason. It keeps a guy from walking into the woods with his gun after killing his deer andclaiming to be hunting coyotes, foxes, etc.

It's not clear in the wording you posted above, but I believe that even WITH a furtakerslicense, you cant hunt coyotes in deer season without a valid deer tag in your posession. I'm not claiming to be an authority on this miniscule point. I might be mistaken on this verysmall point but I beleive that anyone who HUNTS coyotes in deer season must have a valid deer tag and anyonewho TRAPS them in deer season or any other time,needs a furtakers stamp

Is there a WCO or PGC staffer who can correct me or verify my interperetation?
Old 01-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys wanna put this on "pause" for just a minute? I gotta get another box of popcorn...This one may take awhile...........
Old 01-09-2008, 01:35 PM

ORIGINAL: absolut40

ORIGINAL: wildride

where are these hogs i live here and love porkers it will be nice not to have to go to texas i know they came up with some laws about having them certified before releasing them to kill but if you know where they are there is no laws about killing them they are not regulated as pa wild game
Theres some in Bradford county near the NY border.I know this for a fact.
oh yeah thats good to know my brother has a camp up there in little meadows three miles from ny
Old 01-09-2008, 02:03 PM

ORIGINAL: DennyF

i know they came up with some laws about having them certified before releasing them to kill but if you know where they are there is no laws about killing them they are not regulated as pa wild game
HUH? Did you miss the previous discussions about the courtrecentlymaking the PGC responsible for feral hogs? So they cannot legally be hunted now until the game commission abides by the court's ruling and enacts regs to cover feral hogs. Be at least several months before that's all taken care of.

No law covered "certifying" them before releasing them that I'm aware of, because it was never legal to release feral hogs into the wild here.
you are correct i just looked it up and read the article as of 12/27 they are protected until they come up with a decision on how to handle it. but there is laws about releasing them without having them checked i have shot them and fallow deer spanish goats corrsian sheep on this archery hunt they have twice a year last time i went they let domestic animals go even a steer i asked them why that was the reason to expensive to have them cert.so they are not aloud to release them until one of people having it can get a license to certify the animals
Old 01-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: absolut40

where are these hogs i live here and love porkers it will be nice not to have to go to texas i know they came up with some laws about having them certified before releasing them to kill but if you know where they are there is no laws about killing them they are not regulated as pa wild game
Theres some in Bradford county near the NY border.I know this for a fact.
oh yeah thats good to know my brother has a camp up there in little meadows three miles from ny
Your not to far from them then.Actually theres been some spotted on the gamelands not to far from there.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

The gamelands right on the border?
Old 01-09-2008, 02:54 PM

absolut i think i know the gamelands youre talking about its a real big one dont remember the # its been a few years since i was there will have to go up and talk to the niehbor once they get the laws figured out been hearing its getting nuts up there with the yots
Old 01-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yea, I think is over 15,000 acres.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

From the Furtaker's portion of the Digest (P 86):

Coyotes: Outside of any deer or bearseason, may be taken with a hunting or furtaker's license and without wearing any orange.

(During regular Firearms Deer Season and Any Bear Season)- May be taken while lawfully hunting deer or bear, or with a furtaker's license while wearing 250 square inches of FO visible in a 360 degree arc.

Now I would interpret lawfully hunting deer or bear, as stillhaving a valid tag for either a deer or a bear.

FO regs state that coyote hunters must wear 250 square inches of FO if out hunting coyotes after one half hour before sunrise, to one half hour after sunset each day. That'd mean you can hunt them in the nightime hours not part of the daytime hunting hours, without FO.

Everyone that buys a license, receives a Digest. None of it is printed in a foreign language, last I looked. Unless ya don't speak/read English. ;o)

Old 01-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

DennyF:
if im correct,,,you and I read the laws the same way,,,if you are hunting deer with an unused tag,,,then you can hunt coyotes without a furtaker liscense,,,but,,,if you have no deer tag in possession,,,then you must have a furtaker liscense to legally hunt coyotes,, ? not straying off topic here,,because im thinking that this will,,in the end all work out the same,,im kinda doubting that any gov't agency will allow you to enjoy any aspect of life without putting some kind of tariff on it!

Quick Reply: Shooting wild hogs on hold in PA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.