Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Log homes (pics page 2)

Old 12-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Log homes (pics page 2)

Just started looking at hunting properties. I was wondering if anyone has a hunting property that they build a log home on. Who did you use and how much additional should I figure in to put a decent log cabin on the property when we buy it?

Just brain storming here.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Log homes

Personally, I would go with conventional construction and put log siding on it if that is the look you want. The advantages are many. JMO.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

So what are the advantages of doing it that way over just doing the log cabin?

Old 12-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cost is number one. Ability to properly insulate another. Then there is window and door installation, not to mention plumbing, heating and electrical installation. Then you have insect concerns. Finishing options on interior. Resale and maintenance.
Then if you want to add on later, it is a whole different ball game with logs. Frame construction, well, you can do anything.
There is a huge home near me in the burbs that you would swear was a log home. It's actually a frame house with log siding. Best of both worlds.
Some folks love real log houses though. If that's what you like, go for it.
Do your research and decide what's best for you.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:56 AM
Typical Buck

Livbucks is right,,,,i helped put one up for my parents,,,the electrical work was a friggin nightmare on the exterior walls!!!!!!!! Then the summer after we got it completed,,,the wood boring bees(dont know what their called) had holes drilled all thru the exterior and we used some kind of persticide in the stain that we treated the logs with. But with this being said this was 15 yrs ago,,,they may have some new stuff out by now to better handle insects
Old 12-18-2007, 03:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Another thing most folks dont know is that insurance companies HATE log homes. Most won't touch them. It's not that they'll burn faster but if they're damaged, thye are far more expenxive to repair. Because of how they're made, repairing even a small sectionbecomes a project that has to start over from the ground up.

They're harder to insulate and harder to keep airtight
Old 12-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

Hi.
I live in a log home and there is nothing like it. However- they are a ton of work. we have a Lok n Logs home that is made iwth pesticide and herbicide treated logs and we still have bee issues for the durtaion of warm weather. Plan on a comprehensive rinse and restain at least every 4 years. The look is unduplicable (log isiding looks just like what it is to a log home owner), but it is a commitment/lifestyle. Check out lok n logs and iwoodcare ... theyre in Sherburne,NY.

pics too big to upload

email me with questions...good luck

-Garrett
Old 12-18-2007, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

We built a conventinal cabin in WV for my buddy and covered it with half log s nailed on looks just like a log cabin, the only thing is he has to put treatment on it for weatherproofing , but it goes on easier than paint...
Old 12-20-2007, 02:10 AM
Spike

My parents built a log home in 1978 and thats is where i grew up. SOmeday I hope that I have a place and money to build a log home. I loved it. I wouldn't say that it is a ton of work though. But the carpenter bees are a problem every summer and we still haven't found a way to prevent them. If you want a log home definitely go for it.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

I'm mostly just looking for a place to go stay while hunting the property. What is a better solution? I'm looking for something with minimal maintinence so I don't have to venture out there once a week.

Quick Reply: Log homes (pics page 2)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.