Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

schuyler ny?

Old 12-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default schuyler ny?

We just bought 70 acres up in schuyler ny in Herkimer county. We will be hunting it next year for deer (obviously) and was wondering if anyone has hunted up in that area? If anyone has hunted in schuyler or areas around there how is it? any big deer? lots of deer? Any tips?
Thanks
Mike
Old 12-02-2007, 06:07 PM

Default RE: schuyler ny?

Mike, I live approximately 10 miles from Schuyler and have hunted a few spots there for over 25 years. Let me keep it simple by saying that more than likely "Yes", you have made a good buy. This area is loaded with deer. It has always been a favorite spot as a "gimme"to fill doe permits. If you put your time in, you can find some really nice southern tier bucks. Welcome to the area and good hunting.
Jim
Old 12-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

down here in ct are saying is "IF ITS BROWN ITS DOWN" because we rarely ever see a deer, how is it up there (on average how many deer a day)? and what are your record deer up there? what do you recomend for hunting (woods or fields) because we have 3 small fields on the property? thanks so much
Old 12-02-2007, 06:43 PM

Well depending on where abouts in schuyler you are, there may be houses around. That area used to be shotgun only, but this is the second year that rifles are allowed. It's hard to say how many deer a day. I have seen none, and I have seen 15-20. Depends on time of day, weather, are you stand hunting or putting on drives. NY has some really big deer taken every year. This area has produced a few big boys in it's time. Last year we saw a 12 point that grossed 147 come from aspot in schuylerthat used to be an old drive-in theater.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

for how many you see a day heres an example: cold morning (15 degrees) in a stand. there are basically no houses around and it one of the highest points in the county. do you know where the airforce training thing is? it has a jet on a big post and they test the radar on it. it is right next to the airforce thing. im so excited to hunt there! what is your biggest buck taken out of the area?
Old 12-02-2007, 08:02 PM

Still can't say how many you'll see in a day. As I said, it's gonna depend on time of day, weather conditions, feed in the area. Is a feeding area, a bedding area, a transition area. These are all things you will have to figure out by scouting the property. The largest I myself have taken in that area was in about '97 or '98. We were hunting the land bordering the Barge Canal on Rt. 5s by Lock 19. I arrowed a 9 pointer with about an 18" inside spread, weighed about 190. Very good deer for this area.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

if anyone else has any more information on this area please share it. thanks a lot bigtt, if you have any more info on the area or tips or anything please post. thanks
mike
Old 12-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

Oh yah and another thing i would like to know is if there are any regulations for shooting deer in ny (body/rack size) cuz i know in vermont the smallest a buck can be is havinga 1 inch spike and no does.
Once again Thanks
Old 12-02-2007, 08:33 PM

NY regulations state that a buck must have at least 1 antler measuring at least 3 inches.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

no other people on here that have hunted the area before?

Quick Reply: schuyler ny?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.