Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Ethics Question, What should I do....

Old 11-26-2007, 09:49 AM

Default Ethics Question, What should I do....

Let me start by saying this is a long story and I spologize for that, but some guidance on the situation would be nice. I'm just now getting over being steamed so writing it down witll help.

I've had the same lease witht hte same landlord for 4 years and never had any problems to this point. That being said, I've been scouting and have two stands, a spot ofr a pop-up ground blind, and a feeder on the propoerty and the landlord's house sits directly across a field from the ground blind. On Saturday morning I set-up the pop-up blind about 40 yards from the feeder and wait. I have been scouting for months waiting on opening day and have the pattern of a pretty large Sika buck down pat. He would walk past the spot every morning about 10 minutes after sunrise and I had watched him do it 6 times over the last couple of weeks while hunting waterfowl. As I sit there, I see a truck drive down the county road leading past my spot, it stop in the landlord's drive way and kill the lights. After about two minutes, all hel breaks loose. I here two shots from the area of the landlords house,across the feild about 150 yardsfrom me. I assumed he has seen a coyote after hsi goats of something, not uncommon there. Needless to say, no deer came my way after that.

As I walk out around 10:45 I run into the landlord who tells me it was the "worthless guy married to my granddaughter" and he has killed the sika buck I had been watching for weeks. I was livid to say the least. His answer was, "What can you do, I mean its family." Do I have any rights here at all? What makes me even madder is the fact that the guys shot straight towards me where I was set up with the blind. I will not be on the lease next year becaouse of this, but man I'm mad. Thoughts or suggestions?

Old 11-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ethics Question, What should I do....

If you didn't get exclusive rights to the place there is nothing that you could do here. The buck could have just as easily walked over to the neighboring property and been shot over there also. Scouting and seeing bucks before the season is all fine and good, but no one should think that they may not be shot by someone else before you ever get to see them during hunting season. I can understand your concern about him shooting in your direction, but he probably pulled into the driveway, saw the deer and started shooting before he ever talked to the landowner who would have told him that you were up there. I think you might have done the same if you happened to see the deer when pulling in, most especially if it was the buck you had been seeing all along.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:20 AM

My point is that I have paid for exclusive hunting rights on the property, I could care less if a neighbor had shot him on there place, but it was on the one I pay for. I understand that aspect. The point is that he should have never shot on the property to start with. You are right that I would have shot at him, but that is because I am the only person who is allowed on the place to start with. My concern is that if this had been a random person who was caught by the landowner, he would have turned them into the game warden. He said as much, but since it was his grandson, the attitude was, "Oh well, I feel bad about it but what can you do, It's family."
Old 11-26-2007, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did you get it in writing that you were to be the only one hunting this property? This is always a good idea. Even if you didn't I would use this incident as a bargaining tool for leasing it from him next year. I don't know how easy it is to find a place to hunt in your area for a reasonable amount of money, but I know that it isn't very easy where I hunt. If you give up this property, you may not find another one for the same amount of money. I would surely have a long talk with the landowner and maybe you can work something out for next year where you are to be the only one hunting it, or if you aren't then he needs to lease it to you for less money. It sounds like you have some deer on this land, so I wouldn't get all bent out of shape over one deer. Who knows, there may be an even bigger one out there.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

It sounds like you paid to be the only one hunting the property. I would be expecting my payment back and in full. Like your time is free??!!
Old 11-29-2007, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Theres always public land... The deer are less pressured and the hunting is better...
Old 11-29-2007, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

Theres always public land... The deer are less pressured and the hunting is better...
Maryland must be vastly different from NY if your deer are less pressured on public land.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

The deer I hunt on public land are the dumbest deer I've ever hunted... I cant tell you how many times I've walked up on them in there beds and just shot them with my bow while they were looking at me... I've gotton so tired of killing these easy deer that I've resently aquired some private land just so I can have a challengeing deer hunt
Old 12-09-2007, 05:21 AM
cas

" Ethics Question, What should I do...."

Ok, it's an ethics question so here goes.... you shouldn't "hunt" 40 yards from the feeder.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Do you have a signed lease? It was a Silka deer so I assume you are hunting Md either in Dorchester or Worcester county's. Leases are the norm here and if you are in possession of a signed lease proclaiming youhold the exclusive hunting rights and you can prove in a courtof law it was his family member that took this deer out then I would demand my money back or sue in small claims court. If not the landowner will allow it to keep happening. Either that or just walk away from it all but even if you have intentions to walk at least ask for your money back because he was in breach of contract.

Quick Reply: Ethics Question, What should I do....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.