Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Q? FOR MD HUNTERS

Old 10-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Q? FOR MD HUNTERS

HEY GUYS , IVE BEEN TALKING TO FELLOW HUNTERS AND WE ALL AGREE THAT WE THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA IF WE TAKE A PAGE OUT OF PA,S HUNTING RULES AND SET UP A 3 POINTOR BETTER ON ONE SIDE OFA BUCKS RACK IN ORDER TO TAKETHAT BUCK IN MD WITH BOW AND GUN, I TALKED TO A FEW GUYS WHO HUNT PA AND THEY SAY IT SUCKED AT FIRST BUT NOW THEY SEE BIGGER AND MORE BUCKS THEN EVER MAKING THE BUCK DOE RATIO MORE STABLE ,
I THINK IN RETURN IT WOULD FORCE SOME TO TAKE DOES FOR MEAT INSTEAD OF SMALL IMATURE BUCKS GIVING THEM A CHANCE TO GROW AND MAYBE IN 4 YEARS BEING A TROPHY FOR SOME LUCKY HUNTER,
I ALSO THINK THAT ALL HUNTING IN GREENRIDGE MD ON PUBLIC LAND SHOULD BE CLOSED FOR 5 YEARS SO THAT THE POPULATION CAN REBUILD I SEE SIGNS OF BEING SHOT OUT THERE LOL

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THING , GOOD IDEA OR BAD IDEA AND WHY YOU THINK THAT
Old 10-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Q? FOR MD HUNTERS

I'm with you. Plus it would keep a lot of those PA hunters at home instead of down here shooting spikes. Let's do it!

OH, YEAH, WHAT ARE WE SHOUTING ABOUT?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am all about it!!!!! I personally dont believe we will ever see any real change?? I mean come on we could kill 36 or more deer legally in washington county if we wanted too??????
The damn state just wants all the deer killed off!!

I hunt Allegany county and stay off of the state lands you are talking of.... DO you think it is lack of deer or an over abundance of hunters???

I went on state land one time on the first day and was literally scared!!!! No matter which way I looked left,right, down , up all I could see was ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-27-2007, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

I am all for it as well even though my first buck with a gun and bow were below that minimum.
I have since learned the value in letting smaller bucks pass and grow.

I am still waiting to take a mature buck but have no problems taking a doe when the situation presents itself.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WesternMdHardwoods

I am all about it!!!!! I personally dont believe we will ever see any real change?? I mean come on we could kill 36 or more deer legally in washington county if we wanted too??????
The damn state just wants all the deer killed off!!

I hunt Allegany county and stay off of the state lands you are talking of.... DO you think it is lack of deer or an over abundance of hunters???

I went on state land one time on the first day and was literally scared!!!! No matter which way I looked left,right, down , up all I could see was ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And everybody says private property turkeys and deer are just as hard to hunt as public land...
Old 11-02-2007, 10:18 AM

I am all for this rule we have a 6 point or better rule on our land.

The buck to do ratios are screwed up over hear and we have debated just taking doe's this year.

How would the state enforce this rule?

You do not even have to go to the check in stations anymore! The first rule they need to change is making people have to physically check the deer in. Then they have to make sure that the check in stations are actually going out and looking at the deer digital images for the tag are good way to do this. Before they changed the rules I can recall going to check in deer and the check in people never even went outside and looked at the deer they would just take my word for it.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Spike

i think some sort of QDM should be used. People who complain about not seeing big bucks are the same ones with the 3 pointer in the back of the truck. I can see letting a first time hunter get a small buck, but if its really the meat you are after then there are more does out there to shoot then bucks. In order for it to work, we all need to practice this, even if the neighbor doesnt you atleast give that small buck a chance to grow. By shooting it you give it no potential.

Oh and I like the idea of keeping the PA hunters out b/c in my experience they just want antlers no matter how big, espacially after laws were enabled to stop their way of hunting..
Old 11-02-2007, 07:30 PM

If more people showed some self control when it comes to taking a small buck over a doe, we might get to see more large bucks in the woods, that is the reason that PA put the antler regulations in place. PA hunters can not take the amount of deer per season that we (MD hunters) are allowed. Some hunters need to be more willing to take a doe instead of just wanting bucks.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sign me up
Old 11-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

i am from wmu2g in pa.
we have 3 point restriction.
is it working?yes/no.
first, yes if everyone goes by rule, you will see a bigger horned buck BUT not many buck.
you may ask why????????

well, kids and adults over 65 can shoot a buck under 3 point rule.
are they doing this?YOU BET.
if crew or hunters have kids tag,its being used to fill .
so, are they looking at horns,NO.............

this is fault in the plan.
it should be 3 points for all, kids/adults then it would work.

kids tags and 65 over tag is ruining the chance of it working.
i was at sporting goods store, guy came in with his 2 daughters.
they filled out license for these girls ,1 girl said out loud,THIS IS STUPID, I AINT GOING HUNTING ANYHOW.
father said,SHUT UP AND SIGN IT.

there you go....................
who do you think is going to shoot those spike bucks,DADDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY..

i am seeing very few small bucks and a couple of nice ones that are legal.
but come deer season, you will see thousands of hunters after those 20 or 30 nice buck ..

is it working,NO,can it, YES,if hunters would leave all bucks go under 3 points and not shoot FAWNS.that is a whole another topic,that fawn can be a button buck..

if kids tag is available ,very few are counting POINTS.
dont let this happen in your state, make it 3 points for all,this will stop the outlaws and DADDYS that will shoot a small buck and use a kids or seniors tag.................

Quick Reply: Q? FOR MD HUNTERS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.