Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Disabled Crossbow Petition

Old 10-23-2007, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default NY Disabled Crossbow Petition

Hi,

I wanted to draw your attention to this important petition that I recently signed:

"Legalize Crossbows for Disabled Hunters"
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/crossbow4disabled?e

I really think this is an important cause, and I'd like to encourage you to add your signature, too. It's free and takes less than a minute of your time.

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2007, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY Disabled Crossbow Petition

I personally wouldn't mind if they made crossbow legal for anyone. The compound bowhunters would get into a hissy fit as usual at the mere mention of such a thing, however!
Old 10-23-2007, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steve863

I personally wouldn't mind if they made crossbow legal for anyone. The compound bowhunters would get into a hissy fit as usual at the mere mention of such a thing, however!
I'll second that - and I have no interest in using one, selling one, or profitting in any way from their use.

Steve
Old 10-23-2007, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well here we go again, the good ol' time to legalize the crossbow issue again! [:'(]
You ask us to sign your petition, first I ask why do you absolutely feel legalizing the crossbow is necessary for handicapped? I'm just curious what your opinions, and reasons are. Seeing your asking us to sign it.
Here's my opinion on the whole matter. Take it for what it is. I'm tired of the whole issue. I honestly don't feel legalizing the crossbow for any use is necessary in NYS. We have many, many opportunities for hunters. The handicapped can obtain a modified archery permit allowing them to use many devices so they can still archery hunt. Including a draw lock device. Yes the draw lock sorta does the samething as a crossbow. But why legalize a crossbow when have the means in place now? Crossbows are bulkier, heavier, and justa pain to haul around. So why would anyone want to chose a crossbow over a bow with a drawlock device. I just don't see the justification. I'm personally not handicapped. So I may not totally understandsuch apersons point of view. But I do have friends, and family members that are of the handicapped nature, and none wish to use a crossbow. So my bottom line is I just don't see why its so necessary to some.
On the flip side I think the weapon could be neat to use in its own way. But I don't want to see it used in archery season.A crossbow is not archery to me. No matter how you look at it. Its not the samething.
Far as bowhunters speaking out on the subject. Are bowhunters, and bowhunting organizations any different than any other hunting group or organization working to protect what they believe in? I'm really sick of people bashing bowhunters, becasue they don't want the crossbow legalized. They're only protecting what they've worked hard to perfect, and enjoy. Oh, and guess what, its open to anyone who wants to take the time to learn to hunt with archery equipment. Keep archery as archery.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

The handicapped can obtain a modified archery permit allowing them to use many devices so they can still archery hunt. Including a draw lock device. Yes the draw lock sorta does the samething as a crossbow
Drawlock calls themselves a "verticle crossbow". Then why not a horizontal one?

They're only protecting what they've worked hard to perfect, and enjoy.
Has not hurt the hunting in Ohio in over 20 years. Or any other place where legalized.

Oh, and guess what, its open to anyone who wants to take the time to learn to hunt with archery equipment. Keep archery as archery.
Are you refering to the months or longer needed to be hunting proficient with a longbow or recurve?

Or the weekend or less needed to become hunting accurate with a modern compound - then put in the closet until opening day next year.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

I signed it too. I cannot believe it's still not legal in NY. I think anybody over 50 and younger than 16 should be allowed to use a cross bow. Or any age if that person is disabled. I've heard this bill has not been passed because of an archery group in Rochester that has a lot of connections in Albany.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Why the hell does anyone honestly care what the guy down the trail is shooting?
Old 10-24-2007, 05:51 AM

I consider myself primarily a bowhunter and I just don't get the big deal about the crossbow. Recurve to Compound, Shotgun to Rifle, Traditional ML to Modern Inline ML none of these destroyed the quality of hunting. I sure don't see how the crossbow would. Especially if its limited to handicap use. Personally I think all hunters need to support each other regardless of weapon choice.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep archery as archery.
OK, then get rid of the compounds also. Modern compounds with all the gizmos attached to it make rifle hunters look like the ones who are hunting with primitive weapons! Just as I said, this whole subject gets many bowhunters to go bonkers. There would be absolutely NO difference to the bow season if crossbows were allowed.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

seriously, keep the sport alive. The more of us the better. No matter what weapon.

Quick Reply: NY Disabled Crossbow Petition

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.