Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Disabled Crossbow Petition

Old 10-25-2007, 11:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: NY Disabled Crossbow Petition

crossbows are legal here in pa.in most counties even if you are not disabled.
but do you really want one,yes/no..
first they are heavy.
they are noisy,a deer will and can jump string.
they are not as accurate as compound and range is 30 yds max .
compound will drop 7 inchs at 30,crossbow,21 inchs..
if you move just a little, crossbow will shoot off left or high as much as 8 inchs,they are not gun.

people think they are magic weapon and give you edge,only edge is you dont have to pull it back in tree too shoot but you only get 1 shot at deer..

you still have to practice and a lot.
people think they can shoot 40/50 yds at deer, dont even think it.
compound ,i would have no problenm at 40 yds,crossbow, no way.

you are only shooting a 20/22 inch arrow vrs compound shooting 28 and up.
more energy,which means longer shooting is possible.

only reason the bowhunters clubs are against crossbows is because it puts more hunters in woods during archery.
compound bow is much more of weapon to use in archery than crossbow..
now, on to handicap.
most of ones that i see that get a disability permitwere never any good at archery ,they did not practice nor wanted too,so they get crossbow and think its easy, its not..
then you have people over 60,health not as good,so they get crossbow.
then they try to carry it in woods and it almost kills them.
they are heavy,noisy and only good for 30 yds MAX..

so, there you have it.
be careful applying for crossbow disability permit IF YOU WORK..
employeers are finding out that some employess are PERMANTLY INJURED and are not reporting it at work but are to get a permit.
many have lost lawsuits at work because they were injured before and did not report it at work but did to get permit.

i would NOT risk my job at work to get a crossbow permit.

hope this helpsd,folks, crossbows are not a great way to go for deer hunting,compound, by far, is weapon to use..
i think crossbow is great way to get SENIORS back into archery hunting again but they have to understand, crossbow is not gun, its heavy,noisy and only accurate to 30 yds on deer.

i can understand the bowhunters group, heck, i dont want more hunters in archery also,pa. early oct season with gun ruined my whole week of archery,now at in all new crossbow archery hunters.
hope my comments are not taken wrongly,only TRUTH of what is........
Old 10-26-2007, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I surely agree that there isn't great advantages with a crossbow, that is why I can't understand why bowhunters get so riled up about this issue when it really isn't much of an issue.

I wouldn't say that a crossbow effective range is less than a compound bows, however. I don't think either weapon should be fired at live game past 20-25 yards. Yeah, some will tell you that they killed deer at 40 yards or more with a compound, but they DON'T tell you about all the screw ups that have occured shooting at such distances either.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Steve863

I surely agree that there isn't great advantages with a crossbow, that is why I can't understand why bowhunters get so riled up about this issue when it really isn't much of an issue.

I wouldn't say that a crossbow effective range is less than a compound bows, however. I don't think either weapon should be fired at live game past 20-25 yards. Yeah, some will tell you that they killed deer at 40 yards or more with a compound, but they DON'T tell you about all the screw ups that have occured shooting at such distances either.
compound bow is QUIET,so a 35 /40 yd shot is possible with very little string jump on deer.

crossbow is NOISY.a deer will jump string on crossbow at that range.

i have not seen this but many of my friends on here have seen deer jump,this is why they only shoot at 30 max for both.

crossbow arrow really drops a lot at 40 yds,in open field not as much of problem but just think what is it like in brush,say over 21 inchs drop or more.