Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Disabled Crossbow Petition

Old 10-24-2007, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: NY Disabled Crossbow Petition

ORIGINAL: BuckAlley
You ask us to sign your petition, first I ask why do you absolutely feel legalizing the crossbow is necessary for handicapped? I'm just curious what your opinions, and reasons are. Seeing your asking us to sign it.

Ok!

Let me use my Dads situation. My Dad is 72 years old. He has arthitus in hishands and suffers from diabetic neuropathy. He can no longer pull back a bow string because of the arthitus and he has very limited use of of his legs. His condition is weaker than usbecause he cannot get the exercise that a he should. He lives every single day in pain.

Now you mention the draw loc. First the draw still requires you to put your foot in a stirrup and pull back the string with your hands. There is no way that my Dad can do that with his nueropathy. However with a crossbow he can use the hand crank to cock his crossbow.

Secondmy dadis living off social security because of his illness, he lost his part time job. A draw Loc that is properly outfitted (bow, sights and foot stirrup) costs over $900. That is nuts! My Dad has to take all kinds of pills everyday. There is no way he could afford this. Now I can get new Barnett Crossbow packagethat shoots over 300fps with a hand crank for under $500 at the Auburn BPS.

Someday you will be old. We will see how you feel when you are in your 70's and a medical condition will keep you out of the woods. As my co-worker says, "Someday theseyoung bowhunters will be old"

Now Mr. BuckAlley, you don't have to sign the petition if you don't want to. That's fine. It's your choice and your right. But you and the archers who feel like you do better get ready for change. Pete Grannis is VERY pro crossbowand I have read the letter he and the DEChas written to the people whopenned the disabled crossbow bill. The DEC and Grannis are looking hard at getting more disabled hunters in the woods. After reading the letter I believe you will see this bill finally pass in the next year or two. I'll bet you a candy bar.

As for bowhunter groupsspeaking out on this subject. They are going about it all wrong and it has severly damaged their reputation. I spoke with a Region 6 DEC employee after the big fight for an early muzzleloader season. He told me that the DEC was not happy with shout and hollar bullying tactics that were used at many of the meetings. His own words were. "They (bowhunters) will get theirs in a few years".
Old 10-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: SaintHubert

As for bowhunter groupsspeaking out on this subject. They are going about it all wrong and it has severly damaged their reputation. I spoke with a Region 6 DEC employee after the big fight for an early muzzleloader season. He told me that the DEC was not happy with shout and hollar bullying tactics that were used at many of the meetings. His own words were. "They (bowhunters) will get theirs in a few years".

This is why I am no longer a member of NY Bowhunters, I couldn't believe how the acted and when I talked to a county rep about it and stated that I disagreed, I was shot down and treated like crap from that time forward.

I signed it, and feel that anyone should be able to use crossbows in any season just like longbows are allowed. We need all the supporters that we can get. If this brings more people into this sport than I am all for it.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:24 AM

Allow crossbows for anybody to use. I believe that crossbows should be allowed in the late archery season only...that give people a 5 day period to use their crossbow equipment...and if you are handicapped...i believe that you should be able to use a crossbow anytime you'd like.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok! Let me use my Dads situation. My Dad is 72 years old. He has arthitus in hands and suffers from diabetic neuropathy. He can no longer pull back a bow string because of the arthitus and he has very limited use of of his legs. His condition is weaker than us because he cannot get the exercise that a he should. He lives every single day in pain. Now you mention the draw loc. First the draw still requires you to put your foot in a stirrup and pull back the string with your hands. There is no way that my Dad can do that with his nueropathy. However with a crossbow he can use the hand crank to cock his crossbow. Second my dad is living off social security because of his illness, he lost his part time job. A draw Loc that is properly outfitted (bow, sights and foot stirrup) costs over $900. That is nuts! My Dad has to take all kinds of pills everyday. There is no way he could afford this. Now I can get new Barnett Crossbow package that shoots over 300fps with a hand crank for under $500 at the Auburn BPS. Someday you will be old. We will see how you feel when you are in your 70's and a medical condition will keep you out of the woods. As my co-worker says, "Someday these young bowhunters will be old" Now Mr. BuckAlley, you don't have to sign the petition if you don't want to. That's fine. It's your choice and your right. But you and the archers who feel like you do better get ready for change. Pete Grannis is VERY pro crossbow and I have read the letter he and the DEC has written to the people who penned the disabled crossbow bill. The DEC and Grannis are looking hard at getting more disabled hunters in the woods. After reading the letter I believe you will see this bill finally pass in the next year or two. I'll you a candy bar. As for bowhunter groups speaking out on this subject. They are going about it all wrong and it has severly damaged their reputation. I spoke with a Region 6 DEC employee after the big fight for an early muzzleloader season. He told me that the DEC was not happy with shout and hollar bullying tactics that were used at many of the meetings. His own words were. "They (bowhunters) will get theirs in a few years".
Good post, StHubert! I hope you are right that the crossbow will become legal in the next year or two. You are so right when you say that "someday these young bowhunters will get old". It really seems like bowhunting is a young guys game from what I see. I am not even too old yet, but somehow find it more and more tiring going out bowhunting. I have seen and shot my share of deer already, eventhough most were taken with a gun I have less and less desire to go out during bow season to only LOOK at deer just beyond bowrange. Don't have that kind of time to waste anymore. Since the bowhunting lobby is doing a good job in p---ing off Grannis, maybe he will also throw in a few days for an early muzzleloader season for us guys in the southern zone. Now if Grannis can manage these things he would already have done MORE for hunting in NY than most of his predecesors.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe that crossbows should be allowed in the late archery season only..
Why not give them maybe 5 days in October instead, so they could also hunt deer BEFORE the general gun season? Not wanting anyone else to hunt in October when the weather is still nice and the deer have not been yet harrassed has always been one of the bowhunters tricks. Why should they own the woods at that time of year and exclude others? I hope Grannis give muzzleloaders in the southern zone a few days before the general season also, like is the norm in many other states.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:02 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

BuckAlley i'm going to try and tell you a life story, about myself and a friend. Were both 60yrs plus yrs.old.I hunted with the bow since 1959,recurve and then compound. Now mybody dos'nt like me any more, lots of new parts. Last thing to go wrong my left shoulder, no more operations i,m a bad risk, BUT YOU KNOW WHAT I STILL WANT TO HUNT DURING ARCHERY SEASON but you folks like you have stoped me. Now to John he's a couple years older than me hunted with the bow longer the myself, and sounded just like you till he had a stroke in early Oct. . Now he asks can he hunt with the crossbow, sorry john theres folks out there that won't let it happen, they think they own the woods and the season. Buck as you can see life changes us and our desires. One more thing theres a young lad that came back from Iraq all busted up, lost a arm and leg and this is what the petions about, you tell this man to his face that he can't archery no more. Rich K.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I could relate several other stories similar to RWK's.
Hunters who supported local, state and national clubs - many or them fought for the season we now enjoy in NY.
But age and medical conditions keep keep them from being able to practise with even the min wght cpounds to feel good about maintaining accuracy.
And being thesportsman they are, they refuse to go to woods any less then fully prepared.
We tell these self sufficient life long hunters to go see the doc and plead for a disabled modified permit.
Pride prevents most from doing so and now they live with memories only - saddens me greatly that some are so selfish as to perpetuate this - all the while taking the modern shortcut to bowhunting (the 80% compound) out to hunt and to proclaim they are doing it the "hard way".

Like I said - sad.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Fork Horn

I just signed it, I'm all for it. I don't see anything wrong with using crossbows during any archery season by anyone. I hunt with shotguns, compound bows and muzzleloaders. Each one is a different experience and I enjoy them all. Crossbow I'm sure would be fun to try too.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Saint, sent you a pm. Thanks. RWK, I'm well aware of your situation, we've chatted before over this issue. I've told you before my opinions on handicapped individuals using a crossbow. For all you others I never said I was against it, I said I didn't feel it was necessary. That being under most circumstances I'm aware of. But I obviously can't be aware of them all. SteveB, I really wish you'd stop labeling all bowhunters in the catagory your placing them. I'm so sick and tired of bashing bowhunters for voicing our opinions. But then again bowhunters have been bashed since we started hunting. From gun hunters right through to crossbow issues. We've always been in the minority anyways. The bowhunters I know, and associate with are very proud, and some of the most ethical people I've ever met. If you don't agree with our opinions, thats fine. To each his own, but the overall labelingI can do without.
Far as modern technology, isn't it everywhere on everything? So lets beat on the compound becasue of modern technology? Good idea.
So go ahead, quote me, bash me, beat me. Heck hang me by a noose, and shoot me with a crossbow if it'll make ya feel better. I'm a bowhunter, and darn proud of it. I'm done with this topic!
Old 10-25-2007, 02:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buck Alley - I am describing a small but vocal section of hunters - nat all bowhunters. That is not my intent and never has been.
Search my posts - see who was more then a little vocal about the proposal for early MZ - I was asked to speak for the anti early MZ (PRO BOWHUNTER)at the Auburn BP meeting, but could not because of work.
I am a bowhunter 1st and foremost - belong to NYB - just do not agree at all with the official stance.
Am I am finding I am far from alone.
My points on the modern compound (I hunt with both recurve and compound) are just to show how small the differences are to one when compared to the traditional equipment the seasons where established for (and I DO NOT SUPPORT GOING BACK TO THAT!)

Bashing of all bowhunters - NEVER.
Pointing out the weakness of the arguements of some hunters - ALWAYS.

Steve

Ps - writing this getting ready to go out this morning - taking my APA Mamba - one of the fastest, quietest bow out there - modern.

Quick Reply: NY Disabled Crossbow Petition

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.