Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Deer in Back Yard (NH) seem to be OK...

Old 01-15-2003, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer in Back Yard (NH) seem to be OK...

Just an FYI to anyone interested. I haven't seen the deer in my back yard (Southern NH) for over a month and I began to get a little concerned with the snow and cold we have been getting. Anyway, this morning there were at least seven deer (all does I think) that were bedded down within 30 yds of the house. Five were adult size deer and there were also two smaller ones. All these deer appeared to be in pretty good shape. There is about 18 inches of snow still on the ground and the temp was in the single numbers. Hopefully they will look as good when I see them in another month or so...

Old 01-15-2003, 03:00 PM

Default RE: Deer in Back Yard (NH) seem to be OK...

Jimmy how did you do this year, I shot a doe during bow, and worked hard for a 5point.There were alot of deer taken here I know of 5 bucks and 5 does just In my area alone, There are still one big buck and 2 adult does and 2 yearlings running here I hope they make it I gave up on feeding them.I did notice coyt tracks following the deer. There was a big 10 gun down at the pit,I think you know where that is, Its to bad there putting house in there,didnt you go out of state/??
Old 01-15-2003, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

up-a-tree....Well I didn't do as good as one of my sons and two buddies. We got one with bow, one with M/L and one with rifle. We hunt in J2 and L for the most part. I managed to miss a nice buck as I saw him coming out of the swamp and he quartered away thru some very thick alders. I look for over three hours but saw no evidence he was hit. The next morning, on my way to my treestand, I saw blood right under my treestand which was about 150 yds from where I shot. Again I looked for hours, but could not follow the blood trail. I lost sleep over that deer, knowing I was responsible. Sure hope he made it...Congrats to you on your season. I don't know about the conditions up north, but I think so far so good for the deer here...but then again it's early in the winter. I got a son and a couple buddies over by your way..in Danville, Hampstead and Newton..

Old 01-16-2003, 06:44 PM

We have about 3 to 3.5 feet of snow on the ground here in Sunapee. I was out snowshoeing last week and saw several deer tracks. It seems that they're doing ok for now, but it is definately early! Two years ago we got SLAMMED with snow that lasted through most of April. I remember going snowshoeing April 1 or 2, and measuring the snow depth at about 5 feet. The deer were eating bark 6 to 8 feet above the ground as they stood on thier deer runs. The deer took a real beating that year...and we are still recovering now. I just hope that the deep snow doesn't extend into April as that seems to be when the deer suffer the most.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:45 AM
Spike

Hi guys,just thought Id put my 2 cents in here.I have a place just west of Bristol and there is 4.5 feet of snow in my fields already.I think the snow is a little less in the trees,but I havent seen any deer on my property in well over a month.Ive seen plenty of coyote tracks and all kinds of small critter tracks,but Im affraid the deer have yarded up,which makes them easy pickins for the coyotes.A couple years ago we had 112 inches of snow in my fields in mid Feb and I found 17 dead deer that winter,most died from starvation I think.I prey that we dont get more snow for a while,it could be as bad as a couple years ago.
Old 01-18-2003, 06:21 AM
Spike

Four feet of snow on the ground here , the deer are in the yards but are still moving out to feed. As long as there is no crust on the snow they will be able to move around. It looks to be another hard winter but that is why we get big deer around here only the strong survive.
Going to get out with the snowshoes and deer distress call to try and smack some coyotes.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

<font color=blue>I went out coyote hunting last night and saw something ran across an open field. Got out to check the tracks and saw deer and coyote tracks! Looking at the tracks it didn't look like they were being chased but I'm sure those $#!&$ weren't far behind. I'm heading out in another hour to give it another try, sure hope I can run into a few. Did anyone go to Manchester for the hunting show? I went to get my bear and deer scored.</font id=blue>

Edited by - mk-m-gobl on 01/18/2003 20:16:49
Old 01-20-2003, 09:35 AM
Spike

Hey nhhunter,whack a couple of em for me,I cant get back up there for a couple weeks,but Im dying to get out there and shoot a few.Let me know how you do,send me an email if you need some help,I'll be glad to have a reason to get out of the house,lol.