Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

ACORNS IN PA.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default ACORNS IN PA.

in 50 years i have hunted here in WMU2G,clinton county,i never saw as many acorns as i have this year..feed all over, this is 3rd year of lots of feed, to bad PGC did not stop DOE hunting..feed going to waste....

some are 1 and 1/2 inchs long,bionic acorns..
its scary in woods, acorns dropping all over..

deer i saw on sat were real spooky from all acorns dropping..
man, when one of those big babys hits you on head,ouch....
Old 10-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ACORNS IN PA.

Sproulman I know just where you are coming from. I have white, red, black and even english oaks dropping so many acorns it sounds like rain. Some of the white oaks are dropping nuts as big or bigger than nickles.
Gonna be tough to pattern the deer this year.....
Old 10-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Planter

Sproulman I know just where you are coming from. I have white, red, black and even english oaks dropping so many acorns it sounds like rain. Some of the white oaks are dropping nuts as big or bigger than nickles.
Gonna be tough to pattern the deer this year.....
yes, its tough but i did my homework..
i set up near the water.water is scare here in clinton county as all of state..
i have seen about 4 deer this week this week..nothing legal to shoot..
i saw steam coming off deer this week because they were so hot..

heat is awful in woods and so are ticks again this year...

but those BIG acorns dropping every 2 seconds is nerve racketing.....
Old 10-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Acorns are spotty around my home here in Indiana Co. The red oaks in my yard had few acorns this year, but the chestnut oaks were loaded. The white oaks did well too. I live at about 1500 ft. elevation, and I don't know if a light frost got the reds at my place this spring or not. Other areas I've looked at around here have had a tremendous mast this year again, including the red oak. I normally have to watch I don't twist an ankle from walking on them in the front yard, but not this year right here. Two old does and their fawns have kept the chestnut oak nuts cleaned up fairly well. The squirrels have some competition for them on the ground. Gotta check it out at camp..(Northern Clearfield Co.) Hope the mast was decent there also.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

Lots of A-Corns In SE PA stay in the woods cause the deer have no reason to get in the fields anytime during day lite ! JMO I have seen lots of scrapes already I am going to put a scrape dripper in one of them and see how it turns out
Old 10-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Like rain indeed. I got beaned a few times this year so far. I heard the old timers say that a dry year usually means a good acorn crop. They may be right!
But I still get a kick out of the squirrels, even with all the acorns around they still chase each other when one gets too close to the other's "property". I swear sometimes they make more racket than the deer when they get to chasing each other.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last time I saw this many acorns we had a real bad winter.93 I think it was.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Host of Hosts

I haven't seen as many as you guys, but then again I don't in this area
Old 10-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

We are see alot here in Md too the deer not eating the corn that we put out.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:46 AM

I was hunting this weekend and besides the heat I noticed how many Acorns there are. I hunt in Tioga county near the NY line. Just massive amounts of acors(there's lots of oaks on our property) falling. I also noticed the deer did not make it to the fields very much, most stayed back in the woods.

Quick Reply: ACORNS IN PA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.