Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Barnsville Pa Area?

Old 10-02-2007, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Barnsville Pa Area?

Well, I am looking at a house in Barnsville it is just South of 81 and West of 61. Not far from the Mountain Valley Golf Course and a state park that allows hunting (mostly bow I think)that I can't remember the name of. Does anyone know about this area?Anyhelp on what to expect hunting wiseor just the general area wouldhelp. Going to look at the house this weekend.

Paul
Old 10-03-2007, 05:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Barnsville Pa Area?

I believe you are taking about either Tuscorora (excuse the spelling)or Locust Lake State Park. I live about 25 miles NW of there. I've camped at Locust Lake and almost always have seen deer there. Although I've never hunted the area, to me, the area looks very "deery". A lot of oaks and other low growing browse for feed, patches of mountain laurel for cover, water, and depending on the area, agriculture fields. I think if you did some scouting you would have no trouble finding a 'honey hole' for deer hunting. Good luck in your move and hunting.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

bronko is correct. I work in Tamaqua which is just a mile or two up the road from Barnesville. Tuscarora State Park is the one I think you are referring to though Locust Lake is relatively close by...as mentioned. Both parks offer good deer hunting opportunities as does the three or four gamelands within 10 minutes of them.

Though I work up here my typical hunting grounds are a bit further south...Lehigh county so I cannot really help further.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

bronco and PABowhunter, thanks for the responses on my possible new hunting turf.I was hoping that someone would have something good to report. While the wife is checking out the house I will be doing a quick scout up the hill behind the house.It will be a very busyweekend looking at houses and trying to jam in a little hunting down in the Leesport area with a stop over in Hamburg to boot.Hope you guys are seeing some deer.

Thanks

Paul