Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

what happend to the good hunting shows?

Old 10-01-2007, 12:17 PM

Default RE: what happend to the good hunting shows?

All of the Realtree shows are good i think

oh and anything with Stan potts in it
Old 10-01-2007, 02:57 PM

Hey ccm352, im in SE PA too, Ive managed to get some very good land around SE to hunt, and have managed to put down some big deer. Biggest being a 157 1/8 in Bucks county. However, that crap you see on TV is just that. I love hunting PA and I enjoy everything I shoot. Let me know how the video stuff works out, I'd be interested in getting together with ya and doing a few hunts. Have plenty of doe tags to fill and will surely be doing so on the land that i have. Have a few areas with some nice buck in them too. Im a believer in real hunting now preserve crap. Drop me a line and let me know.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Come on guys - these shows only run 1/2 hour each. They may hunt for days or even weeks before they get a 'kill' on tape. I watch a lot of shows on The Outdoor Channel especially on Tuesday nights. Last night Primos did kill some nice bucks but they also took several doe on the show. No, they don't show them doing the scouting or hanging tree stands etc. But they do - That is why they get their deer in close.
And as for the food plots, especially down south, that is probably the only way to get the deer into the open for a clean humane shot. I've lived in the south for 4 years and the woods down there, if it isn't swamp, is so thick in most places, you need a machete to get through it. That is except for the pine plantations.
Other shows like Gettin Close, Lee and Tiffany put alot of work into planting food plots all year long. Yes it's their land and getting access would probably be impossible unless you were a close friend but I've seen them pass on buck that I would be drooling over if they came by my stand. They only shoot buck that are 5, 6 + years old. These deer are rare on public land.
Us older hunters know about, or should know about scouting, stand placement, wind and scent control, etc. And we learn from experience and by our mistakes. I know most of our hunting time is preciously limited but what we need to do is take the younger hunters 'by the hand' and teach them what we know and answer all their "why" and "how come" questions.
Am I jealous of all those TV hunters shooting big buck. Hell yes! But I also tip my hat to them for having the time to enjoy this sport that all us regular folk don't have. And if I ever got invited to hunt with the Primos Team, Lee & Tiffany, the Drury Brothers or any of the others I'd be packing and heading out the door as soon as possible.