Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Northern Zone Archery

Old 09-27-2007, 04:23 PM
OGW

Default RE: NY Northern Zone Archery

I wish I was out there since I passed on enough deer last year...and did not fill my bow tag[&o]
I ended up doing my civic duty and calling after 5PM to see if I had jury duty in the morning[&:]...and like the whole week long they did'nt call my number
Besides the wind was wrong for my favorite spot so that made it easier to wait until tommorrow
Old 09-28-2007, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

Got out this evening and didn't see anything other than a red squirrel chasing a much bigger grey squirrel everywhere. It was actually kind of amusing. Good first night out. Nice sunset and decent temps. Wind was weird though.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been out 3x's so far, and yet to see a deer. I was out Thurs a.m., Fri a.m, and p.m. Thurs pm got rained out, I won't go in down pours. No since in chancing loosinga blood trail.
My only action so far as been few squirrels, and small porcupine came right down the deer trail tonight, and stopped at my curiosity scent checking it out for several minutes. Was kinda neat.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw 4 deer. All on the ride up there. I did spook one walking to my stand.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Fork Horn

Had some action today, 5H, Town of Ohio,Black River Wild Forest, Was set up high because the wind was blowing a bit, (got in the stand around 3:30),heard allot of movement going on and saw nothing so i sat back relaxed and wouldn't ya know Isee movement to the right out of the corner of my eye (5:00p.m.), turn to see what it is and its a buck coming in from behind me at 15 yards(upwind), I scramble to my feet and reach for my bow, hes moving straight back away from me so i let out a grunt(mouth, not call) he stop 1/4'ing away I let the arrow fly and hear the sound of my arrow ripping through something hollow(Like a thick balloon popping), and see him get knocked sideways a little. He bounds forward a couple times into the thick woods. So I am watch where he went in and see a deer walking slowly from my right to my left where he went in (now I am thinking got shot the way the deer was walking). Now i sit till 6:00 because i don't want to get down and jump a gut shot deer(done that to many times already) before i go to look for my arrow. Get over to where i think he was standing and cant find anything (blood, arrow, nothing) so i go back to where the thicker stuff start and i believe he went in and find the arrow next to a sapling and both are covered in blood. The arrow had blood all the way down to the nock, but the head had something i didn't like(stomach content a very little) the shaft and fletchings had none, they didn't even smell. So i go get my buddy who was getting down cause he seen nothing and tell him we have a tracking job on our hands and ask his input on the arrow in case my nose ain't working to well (getting over a sinus infection) he's says he smells nothing and thats a ton of blood. So we drop our stands and bows off at the truck and grab our tracking and gutting gear and start out. So we start at the spot I found the arrow and seen the blood and we are losing light so we need the lights, cant find anything more than the tree covered where the arrow was so i back off and look for drops before it and make a line of direction and look on that direction after and find a drop 10-15 yards from there, after that it all got easy cause it went from drops every 2 feet to a highway we prob didn't need light to follow and there he was 75-100 from where i shot.

P.S. Sorry for the long version, BTW The other deer a seen while watching for him wasn't him, just another deer i never know was there LOL

OH YEAH forget he his an 8 point

Old 09-30-2007, 06:34 AM

Here's another North Country right here > ME <. I'll be waiting for 1 Oct also. This is the first season I'havent been deployed in THREE years, so I'm really looing forward to it. I'll be taking my 14yo daughter out for her first season this year too.Off the beaten path...I posted a thread on "NY butcher" anyone know of a good game processing station here near watertown?
Old 09-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

Went out tonight and saw a few squirrels again. No deer. Going out early tomorrow morning. I know if I don't see any deer I should see some turkeys (opens tomorrow). More species, hopefully better chance at getting one or the other.

P.S. Try Millers for having your deer processed if you are looking somewhere around Watertown. They are just outside Lowville, but they do a great job.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:35 PM

P.S. Try Millers for having your deer processed if you are looking somewhere around Watertown. They are just outside Lowville, but they do a great job.
Thanks for the tip and good luck with the hunt tomorrow!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mbruizer187

OH YEAH forget he his an 8 point
That is a great buck Bruiser!! Congratulations!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

thanks

Quick Reply: NY Northern Zone Archery

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.