Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Shooting Ranges on PA SGL

Old 09-17-2007, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shooting Ranges on PA SGL

If this has been posted before, I apologize... I missed it...........

The shooting range on SGL in Indiana Co., PA at the Game Commission buildings on old Rt. 422 is closed, and has been for some time. I suspected it had to do with the lead abatement concerns now flourishing. I parked my car at the locked gate and walked up to the range to see what was going on. It appeared that the hill of dirt that acts as the bullet stop was regraded and ready for use. Two piles of dirt and stone were to both sides of the range, and I assumed they were the dirt containing lead that had been removed. The range remains closed.
I stopped at my local State Representative's office recently to inquire about the situation. A day or so later his aide called me to inform me I was correct about the lead issue, and that people with semi-automatic weapons had caused a lot of damage to target holders, etc. I was told that the range SHOULD be open in November sometime prior to Deer season.
I have learned recently that this is a State-wide issue or program and is happening State-wide all at the same time. I fully realize the lead concerns, and the fact that the contaminated soil needs disposed of properly and/or treated.
What ticks me off is the fact that most if not all of the work has already been done already, and the range will not be open for another month and a half. I do a lot of reloading and shooting, as do plenty of other people in this area, and I would think that the rest of the state is the same. To shut down these ranges for such an extended period of time is, I feel, unrealistic, and is causing a certain amount of hardship to the regular and serious shooter. I don't want to get into the license-buying tax-paying thing, but I feel we are being given little or no recognition in that regard.
Additionally, I'm a little worried that if we, as shooters, don't make at least some noise and complaint about this, the PGC may take it as a signal that the ranges are just not that important anymore, and close them all for good.
I feel each and everyone of us who uses these ranges needs to contact their State Representatives and State Senators to voice their support for getting these ranges re-opened as soon as possible, and keeping them open for the future. Please don't let another one of our privileges be plowed under......................
Old 09-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shooting Ranges on PA SGL

Saw an article in Pa outdoor news saying that the ranges will be open in time for the pre season sighting in rush. Exactly what dates that meant wasn't mentioned.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Host of Hosts

Default RE: Shooting Ranges on PA SGL

I understand your frustration, but your lucky you even have a range to go to. I was at a recent class where a PGC officer spoke about the issues they are having at some ranges across the state. There are alot of IDIOTS out there who need to follow the posted rules at these facilities or they are going to shut the down permanently.

The biggest issues are vandalism, people shooting target holders,benches,signs,and bringing in garbage like computer screens and tv's tho shoot at.

The rules state also no shotguns due to how they severly damage the rubber backstops in a very short period of time. The cleanup costs at these ranges are astronomical. I've actually seen alot of the issues here at our local range over the years, enough so that I joined a private gun club to go to when I need to sight in. If people don't stop abusing these facilities they WILL be SHUT DOWN.