Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions

Old 08-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions

For the "just shoot a doe" crowd:

No DMPs will be issued, and therefore, you cannot apply for a DMP, in the following Wildlife Management Units for 2007:

3A, 4L, 4M, 4U, 4X, 5A, 5C, 5F, 5G, 5H, 5J, 6F, 6J, 6N

20 other units require PP for a chance.
3 more are rated as low chance.

What do these hunters get to hunt under points based AR?
I know - 1 1/2 old 6 and 8 points - the best of the young ones.
Can you say "high grading"?

Steve

Old 08-20-2007, 10:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

In some places of NY, like 3H, they made it so a buck must have 3 pts on one side to shoot it... for 100s of years a legal buck wasa spike, or better, it makes me mad that the casual hunter, who is just as happy to get a 4 pointer as he is a 12... i guess they want bigger deer for more hunters and money [:@]
But remember, we as hunters are consevationalist....it isn't about you, it's what is best for the herd as a whole. PA is going into its 4 season and it's a win, win......Way to go NY.

AR'sare not designed to help theherd. They are put in placefor guys who are unable or unwilling togeta buck and are looking to stack the deckin their favor.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:13 AM
Fork Horn

Steve,

You keep pointing out that they can't get a doe permit, but are you forgetting that everyone in NY that buys a hunting permit and muzzleloader permit now has a doe permit, and if they also buy there bow permit now has 3 tags. 1 antlered only 1 either sex, and1 antlerless, that to me looks like 2 doe permits to me. As I am not 100% set on AR I do feel that something needs to be done to protect the younger deer. I personaly would love to see NY go to a 1 buck/ hunter. Also would like to see the regular season pushed back to start after Thanksgiving, and shortened to 2 weeks. But I do understand it is not my needs or what I want that counts I am not the only hunter out there.

Paul
Old 08-21-2007, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Only about a 1/3 purchase the archery.
About the same for the MZ - and many of those are for 2nd bow tags.
While number of hunters in mz are increasing, the woods are really pretty quiet that last 10 days - especially compared to gun season.
A large number of the reg season hunters are "few days a season".
We cannot take the hit of losing them by not letting them hunt anything.

My point is valid

Steve
Old 08-21-2007, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy
What's the difference between shooting a small buck and a doe? I would rather see a doe harvested personally
See above - can't shoot a doe with no permit.
Also - what is the difference between shooting a spike or a 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 year basket 8 pt? Both are young immature deer - bucks don't mature until 5+ years. If you shoot anything younger and you support mandatory points based AR, you are a hypocrite.
Here in central NY, over 60% of the 1 1/2 bucks are 6 point or better - same age the spike or less then 6 points you guys are determined to save.
Let's target the best of the 1 1/2 old bucks - any way that makes sense to anybody?

Steve
There is no difference between shooting a spike and a basket 8 point. They are both excellent examples of small bucks. Look for the antlers to have mass, a minimum of 4 points on one side and both sides spreading outside the ears and you will never have a problem.

As far as the doe issue, I agree with the sentiment to just suck it up and buy either a black powder or a bow. It's the same or similar laws as many other states and provinces. I'm not sure how the seasons fall in NY, but here it goes bow, rifle, black powder. Bow is any deer; rifle is any buck, black powder is doe only. This makes it possible to try to find your buck with he bow and rifle, and if you don't; use black powder season to fill the freezer.

Good luck
Old 08-21-2007, 06:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am happy about it. In some areas of NY, I have NEVER once seen a buck with points, just spikes
.Where? I find that hard to believe.

Three points per side so your basically saying 1.5 yr old bucks.

Bow is any deer; rifle is any buck, black powder is doe only.
Well we are about the same but you don't have AR was should we?
Old 08-21-2007, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

I really wish we did. There are far too many shooting small deer here and far too many does getting hit by cars. One thing they've done here is the re-introduction of the crossbow during bow season. I'm not sure if it's going to help much. I'd much rather see hunters allowed to harvest two deer per year with a mandatory harvesting of a doe and then AR laws put in place. Seems to me it would balance the population and make people happy.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

A large number of the reg season hunters are "few days a season".
We cannot take the hit of losing them by not letting them hunt anything.
They can hunt maybe if they want a doe tag they just need to either use ML or bow, or if that doesn't work hunt in an DMU that has a better chance to be drawn. There are always going to be changes and people reject change so you will never be able to please everyone. Just look at the changes a few years ago with the Saturday opening, or the possible ML during Bow season, or the talk about AR.

So my question is this if you don't agree with AR than do you believe any hunter should be able to shoot any buck from a BB on up?
Old 08-21-2007, 08:04 AM

Awesome. I am glad to see that they are doing something. I believe it should be a 3 point on one side at a minimum. I live in WV and we are trying to adopt a similar policy to limit harvest and buck sizes. More doe need harvested as well. I wanted to start a policy where you had to earn a buck tag by first shooting and checking in a doe. I do most of my hunting in Ohio where there are no restriction on antler size, but you can only harvest one buck by any means, so its very doubtful with the size of Ohio bucks that hunters will shoot a spike or 4 pointer. Way to go New York, you all cannot drive worth a hoot, but your DNR are on the ball. lol

Good luck this season and be safe
Old 08-21-2007, 11:22 AM
jf5

Same arguments by the same guys. No one is gonna change their minds since everyone feels they havevalid points. Its all in your desires. I will not submit my opinion as its worthless. But I really don't think it will hurt hunter numbers all that much.

Best of luck NY no matter what you do.

Quick Reply: anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.