Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

orange reqs. for ny

Old 09-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: orange reqs. for ny

ORIGINAL: Prozacaddict

I am a very cautious and courteous hunter, but you cannot assume thateveryone else in the woods is the same, so why take a chance?

The whole reason for wearing orange in the first place is to protect yourself. I guess some people just do not want to be told what to do.
I wear a blaze orange hat to protect myself also. But mandating could (for some) open season for anything that moves that isn't blaze orange.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:37 AM

From NY:

Posted Oct. 22, 2007
10:21 AM
Patterson,N.Y. (AP)_ A sheriff's department in New York state says a teenage boy is lucky to alive after being accidentally shot by a Connecticut man while pheasant hunting in Putnam County.
The Putnam Sheriff's Department says it was called around 8 a.m. Sunday to the Cranberry Mountain Wildlife Management Area in Patterson.
Police say 17-year-old Eamonn Hanley was struck in the arm by seven pellets of bird shot as he and his dad were camouflaged at the base of a tree.
Police say the shooter, 53-year-old Manuel Pereira of New Milford, Connecticut, says he never saw the two hunters before firing at a pheasant that had been flushed out by his hunting dog.
Hanley says he felt this burning sensation and looked down and saw blood on his arm. He was taken to Danbury Hospital where he was treated and released.
Police say the shooting was an accident and no charges were filed.
[/align]

Old 10-22-2007, 01:46 PM

why would this guy be shooting a pheasant near the ground? dont pheasants fly when you spook them up with a dog? The other day i was hunting with my buddy on some property behind my house. We heard some turkeys up on the hill and decided to give up on the deer...and focus on getting a fall turkey. so we sat down in the corner of the woods and began calling (we had our bows.) we heard some calling getting closer and closer. I kept callign and calling and shure as chit...a hunter popped up on the top of the hill. Can you believe this? People are f'in retarded when it comes to turkey hunting. Orange wouldnt have present this dumba$s from coming our way...and luckily the stupid lady didnt shoot in our direction down the hill. In this case orange wouldnt have helped either of us. DO NOT STALK TURKEYS...ITS IMPOSSIBLE AND THATS HOW PEOPLE DIE!
Old 10-22-2007, 04:33 PM

It's almost funny.....

This county is in a screaming match over the use of CF rifles, long story, so I'll leave it at that.

Those loudest against the use of rifles are using the safety argument as their main leg to stand on but absolutely refuse to even consider the single most accepted safety measure out there.....

A minumum orangerule during firearms season...............
Old 10-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always wear blaze orange during the fire arms season.That being said, when hunting my own property I will not be told what to wear but will make my own choices in apparel for heavens sake. If I decide fluorescent green is a better safety choice then that's what I'll be wearing. Done deal!
Old 11-07-2007, 03:34 PM

Leave it to Spitzer and he'll ban cammo (and blame the Republicans) I usually wear an orange hat or vest when walking in or out. When on the ground, I put a couple of orange stripes around the tree Im nearest to. (use international orange duct tape) That way its there but dosen't move when I do. (use this during turkey hunts as well but "bracket my spot" so the turkeys dont look straight at me.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:11 PM

makes no sence to me to NOT wear it during bow when bow and blackpowder are same season. but u guys do u.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:29 PM

i go with my father and both of us wear blaze orange hats, rule number 1 SATFEY first and then the deer hunting, id rather live to see another day rather than be all camo so a deer cant see me, if you dont want a deer not to see you there is a special hunters orange that humans can see and deer dont, i wear orange even if i dont have to because there are some reala**holes out there that dont look beyond their target, and some are just plain mistakes that happen and hopefully this tragety neverhappens again because i hunt in orange county which is right near putnam county, good luck to all and hunt safely