Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

orange reqs. for ny

Old 07-16-2007, 08:30 PM

Default RE: orange reqs. for ny

for those who do wear orange, how much do you wear? and any close calls?
Old 07-17-2007, 05:20 AM
Typical Buck

I wear a vest and a hat during shotgun. Most of the other guys that I hunt withare very sucessful experienced huntershave full orange camo coveralls. Safety first!
Old 07-17-2007, 08:16 AM

Last year (my 2nd year hunting) I was hunting the back of our property which is a creek bed. I saw some movement coming down the hill of the adjoining property. After some carefull inspection, I saw that it was a another hunter. The only orange he had on was a reversable hat that had the orange on the underside, so every so often I could see a flash of it from under the bill of the hat.

I radioed my husband to let him know, and he came and got me. As a new hunter, it made me nervous with someone like that behind me with a gun.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-17-2007, 10:32 AM

I agree if its not broke, don't fix it. However, I just would have hoped that all hunters would have common sence. I know....wishful thinking on my part. The fact that he did not have orange on made me question his overall commen sence.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:49 AM

There will always be idiots and accidents, and there is no way you can legislate them away

very true.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cma3366a

If you want to wear orange, feel safer wearing it ect, by all means wear it. On the other hand, don't worry about the other guy, he'll make his own decision and live or die by the consequences. He's an adult, and fully capable of making his own decisions based on his own circumstances.Thats his choice.

New York has low hunter accident rates, as low as states with mandatory laws. There is nothing to be gained by adding another law to the already crowded books other than a few extra dollars in state coffers due to new fines, and a few more hunters that pull the trigger at non-orange movement.

The Nanny mentality many hunters have of wanting to force everybody in every situation to wear a pumpkin suit sickens me. It's much like the hand-wringing there was over allowing rifles in the southern tier. Many a hunter, in these very boards claimed there would be 'blood in the streets'. Nothing happened, deer season went off with nary a hitch, just as it did when people were shooting slugs.

I think what it comes down to is, for the majority, we hunters are a pretty conservative, safe, mindful group. Even without Big Brother holding our hand we seem to make the right decisions in the right circumstances, and 99.9% ofus make it home safe. There will always be idiots and accidents, and there is no way you can legislate them away.
Outstanding post!!!!
Old 07-29-2007, 08:41 AM

Well I can understand why they ask people to wear the vest but on a slightly sick and funny thing, it stops future Dick Chaney's from accidently shooting other hunters. Now everyone I say that to can't help but laugh.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

99.9% making it home safe isn't good enough for me.

I know you are just giving it as an example - but 1 death in 1000 is the same as 1000 deaths in 1 Million.

Agreed - lets don't legislate Orange. - BUUUUT - anyone that wears Carhardts or Full camo in gun season is just plain foolish- makes me think they want to hide from the Humans (landowners, other hunters, etc) more than the deer.

Put an orange hat on for god sakes! Should I tell my young son who is just getting into hunting - that if he accidentally kills a guy in full camo that it couldn't be helped?

Lets just say I'll be wearing orange - and so will my kids in NY for gun Season. I expect every reasonable hunter in NY would WANT to be seen by other hunters.

FH
Old 07-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

It should be our choice! During gun you can see orange for a long distance. It works very well and I fell safe wearing it. But that's MY choice!

Quick Reply: orange reqs. for ny

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.