Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Incredible day in the woods but no kill

Old 05-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default Incredible day in the woods but no kill

I didn't harvest a bird today but what a show I witnessed. I thought it was ruined bumped 4 birds off roost asI was moving to set up on only bird gobbling. He flew down in sight but wouldn't come the last 20 yds he finally moved off and i made my way to the green field where i know they tend to go around 8.30 whenI snuck up there was 9 birds in the field already every one a gobbler 6 mature birds and 3 jakes I've never seen anything like it in 25 yrs must have heard 400 gobbles. I thought would be a slam dunk wrong, even had deer at the far end of the field.I Called they gobbled but it was like they had cement in there shoes closest any came was maybe 60yds. I backed out not wanting to educate them I'll give them a day and set up on the edge of the field coming in from the other end. Maybe these turkeys were of the alternative lifestyle? Sure seemed it At any rate what an incredible morn one I won't soon forget
Old 05-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Incredible day in the woods but no kill

Sounds good Matt. I had the same thing happen yesterday and passed on the 60 yarder of course. I set up this morning in a different spot to cut them off since I knew where they were roosting and knew they were going to plowed field then the green one. Worked like a charm and got a nice 20 pounder 9 1/2" beard and 1" spurs. They pitched out of the trees and went the other way but eventually after some soft calling the hensworked their way up to me with a tom following.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Incredible day in the woods but no kill

Congrats Champlain Islander persistence is the key and it doesn't hurt to use your noodle changing the setup often works. I have some family members that just return to the same spot and hit the same calls day after day and can't figure out why the birds don't fall in there lap. I throw every new wrinkle in i can give them something or an approach the masses haven't already tried