Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

[Deleted]

Old 05-01-2007, 06:12 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-01-2007, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: NY Turkey Opener results?

I had a good morning even though i didnt get anything. 2 toms and 2 jakes flew down at 1st light got to 80 yards and dissapeard. Hr later i see a fan over the noel, same 4 birds and a hen, they come in to check out decoys and I missed a nice mature tom. This was only my 2nd time ever turkey hunting and 1st alone. Shot was 40 yards.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

Gobbled on roost went silent when hit the ground finally saw 2 birds after about 1hr, I believe the were the same that were on the roost. Strutted spit drummed did it all but come into range hung up at about 50-55 yds I wont take that shot especially in the timber but was fun to get out and enjoy hunt after the winter doldrums! Maybe tomorrow going out w/ the bow (hoping they roost in the same spot we will see)
Old 05-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Spike

I had success in Dutchess county this morning.
Got into the woods nice and early, heard some gobblers and when they flew down they started walking my way and were in range...but it was 20 minutes before legal shooting time. I decided to sit tight and let them walk on by.
Before too long they were headed to a nearby field that I heard some hens in and I thought that my hunt was over. Once it was legal to shoot I closed the distance to the field and called pretty aggressively. Supprisingly, I see a bright red head weaving his way through the woods by himself, he got within range and the 870 with the Hevi-shot took care of the rest of the story.
20 lbs, 9" beard, 1" spurs.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Typical Buck

Great morning with the youngster
Old 05-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heard 5 or 6 gobblers...

Set up on a bird and killed him at about 9:45 AM...

Decent 2 year old... 20.5 lbs, nice full 9" beard, 3/4' spurs..

Steuben County, Town of Rathbone...
Old 05-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Had a awesome morning at my camp in Cortland Co.
Played with a tom until 9:30, trying to work him in. Had hens with him, and even talking to hens couldn't bring him my way. He kept going away from me, then coming back then walk away. He'd go dead quiet for 10-15mins, then start gobbling like crazy again. I have a vendettafor him now! I headed back to camp,my brother bagged a decent tom 6 3/4" beard, 3/4" spurs @9:15. Told me was several tomsstill gobbling after he shot in the area was at. So off I go. I got one answering, and worked him in. He was in some thick stuff, and didn't have clear shot. Then he walked up topa dirt mound, like a ant hill. His head was pretty clear, so I shot. He dropped. I went over, and he was done. I pacedthe shot off @42yds., 11:15am! Just a jake 4 7/8" beard. Good sized jake. Inormally let jakes walk, but had never taken a spring tom down to camp, sohad to get that monkey off my back.
Overall all we figured heard or saw least 10 different tomsin area. They were still gobbling to woodpeckers, crows at noon.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:13 AM

Opening morning was slow as far as birds but heard many hunters trying to sweet talk birds all morning. Some people just call way too much. I passed up 2 two year old gobblers and called in a 3 yr old to about 65 yards and he hung up with a hen that appeared in the field as he was working into my decoys. I was disappointed.

Second day i called in one jake right away then saw 6 hens with the same 2 year old gobblers trying to act tough and pretty...the hens wanted nothing to do with them. They actually waited in the field until a older bird showed up and gobbled at them, this mature birds slippped in the brush and all the hens followed for "breeding" time. One hour later he appeared silent. Only 40 yards away strutting and spitting at my decoys. I took him at about 25 yards. 21lbs. 13 oz. 10" beard, 1" spurs.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

20lb 14oz, 9" beard, 13/15" & 15/16" spurs opening day NY (Columbia County):

http://i17.tinypic.com/6g0544n.jpg

20lb, 9.5" beard, 1" and 1 1/16" spurs opening day MA (Berkshire County)

Old 05-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was pumped and excited for my first opportunity to get into the turkey woods this year. But is was most disappointing/discouraging. 3 days and not a gobble in striking distance. I did hear smone gobbles each day in the far, far distance. The turkeys just weren't roosting in the "normal" locations on/near my property. I hope that it's better next weekend. I did see a few deer that helped break the monotony.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.