Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Bad Form in Southern MD

Old 12-17-2002, 05:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bad Form in Southern MD

A church friend called me on Sunday afternoon about a dead deer in the cul-de-sac behind his house. I went over to check it out. It was a buck, with huge antler bases, but the antlers were still in velvet. It also had a small pair of underdeveloped testes - kinda explains the velvet in December. Well, the antlers were broken up, like this deer had been hit by a car or something in the earlier part of the year. To bad, this one would have been a monster.

In any case, it had a good diagonal shot across the vitals, so we couldn't figure out how it ended up in the middle of this cul-de-sac. We looked a little closer and found a twisty-tie in the ear. That's right...someone shot this deer, put a field tag on it, did not field dress it, but hauled it out of the woods and dumped it in a neighborhood in southern MD.

Why did the hunter shoot the deer if he didn't want the deer?

Even if he decides later to (wanton waste) not use the deer, why leave it on a cul-de-sac?

Anyway, my friend is not really a hunter, and this gives hunters a bad name.

<font color=green>How many vegetables had to die to make your stupid salad!</font id=green>
Old 12-17-2002, 07:47 AM

Default RE: Bad Form in Southern MD

maybe it wasn't a hunter!
Old 12-17-2002, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

...then why the twist-tie in the ear...
and I estimate that it was a 12g hole through the vitals.

Philosophically speaking, you're right. This was no hunter, but I have no doubt he had a hunting license.

I did, by the way, make a report to the authorities, complaining of wanton waste of a large wild game animal. They reminded me (as if I didn't know) that there's almost no hope of knowing who did it, unless it was witnessed by someone.

My guess is that because of the shape of the rack, the size of the bases, and the fact that the antlers were still in velvet...more than one person must know about this deer. Someone knows who did it! I even called the check-stations around here to see if anyone had checked a buck in velvet lately. No hits on that one. I'm sure the animal never even made it to the check station. It wasn't even field-dressed.

<font color=green>How many vegetables had to die to make your stupid salad!</font id=green>
Old 12-17-2002, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

The guy probably killed it, tagged it, then realized he didn't know how to field dress it so he left it.

MassBowhunterWhats Your Story?
Old 12-17-2002, 11:48 AM

what part of the county was it found in?

Evan
Archery Accessories
301-872-0110
Old 12-17-2002, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Lexington Park, in a new housing division just off Pegg Road

Old 12-18-2002, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mizzou2002,

Are you sure there is a wanton waste law in Maryland? I have often wondered about this when I find deer left in the woods that have been field dressed. I have never seen anything in the hunting regs or on the DNR web site about wanton waste.

Just curious.

Old 12-18-2002, 09:45 AM

the housing at the end of forest run drive/right dwn the road? around the power lines? I used to hunt their but now I hunt in dameron area and I know the guys that own the woods, I`ll try to get in touch with and see what I can find.

Evan
Archery Accessories
301-872-0110
Old 12-18-2002, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

Not sure what the housing area is called, but as you're driving on Pegg Road toward Chancellor's run, it's on the right hand side about 1/2 a mile before Pegg Road ends at Chancellor's.

...but like I said, someone dumped the deer there. I wouldn't be surprised if it was shot elsewhere.

Old 12-18-2002, 12:48 PM

I know the area

Evan
Archery Accessories
301-872-0110