Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

One South Jersey club's take for the week

Old 12-18-2002, 12:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: One South Jersey club's take for the week

6pt, that may be CedarBrook as my barber(GI) said they got one or two decent racks, all the rest where small. As for letting them go, I don't so much have a problem with the hunters shooting any buck, the only way to fix that is QDM or AR's. My problem is the way the hunts are conducted and the impact they have on the population.

"We do not inherit our wildlife from our fathers, we only borrow it from our children."
Old 12-18-2002, 05:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's not Cedarbrook but a clud directly across town from them by about 5 miles. I won't name it here. As far as setting hight standards, thats not it with me. I have harvested many, many deer with a bow and would rather see the 2 and 3 and a half year old bucke surrive. I will shoot a doe quick as the does generaly are overpopulated, where I hunt anyway. I enjoy my time in the woods and I could end that time proablly the first day out by shooting a smaller buck. Thats there way of hunting, it's legal and I have no problem with it but just feel they are doing damage to thier herd by these practices. This area is littered with clubs that all do this type of hunting, there are 3 within a 5 mile radis of me. They each have well over a hundred members so it''s an accepted proceedure round these parts. Just not my bag of tea to speak so I do not join them but rather drive the 130 miles back to Md to hunt. Most of the people in this area of NJ know this is the type of hunting that is done and accept as do I. I just don't partisipate, thats all.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have been told that deer in Jersey are as thickly populated as rats, we dont knoiw what their lease agreement is . I think in Jersey you can kill 19 deer legally per year,, so population must be one hell of a problem.much like it is with people in the garden state
Old 12-18-2002, 07:28 AM

More then 19 it's unlimited does in certain areas, but there is a limit on bucks. I don't care what people kill as long as it is legal. The problem in NJ is that there are more button bucks killed during the doe days then are does being killed. Thats why we don't have the amount of bucks or decent bucks around IMO. Button bucks are the easiest deer to kill because they are the stupidest and if anyone shoots the first deer they see then button bucks are what they will shot.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:19 AM

Peepnrelease, the other problem is that the shotgun antlerless season runs until mid-february in many zones, a time which the majority of bucks have already shed their antlers. I have seen drivers take multiple bucks in late Jan. with antlers already shed.
The F&W comission needs to wake and smell the coffee on this issue. What the hell is the sense of having restrictions on the number of antlered bucks a hunter can take, if those bucks end up getting shot when they drop their antlers in Jan. and Feb anyway?!?!
I'm looking forward to the public hearings to hammer out the 03-04 game code, I really hope many hunters turn out and protest the ubsurd regs F&W has been feeding us for the last few of years. We have sat quietly long enough hoping for things to improve to no avail, so now is the time to be heard!
Old 12-19-2002, 08:05 AM

Very good point Stealthy, I have never thought about it that way nor have I ever shot a deer that has already shed. I don't like to go out much in January and February. It was my favorite time of year when we had only winter bow, but now the deer are being pressured too long and I just can't see sitting in a stand with the bow when everyone else is running around with shotguns. Something needs to happen. Keep us posted as to when these meeting will be taking place and you will be sure to see me there.