Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

HR 61 rifles vs. shotguns

Old 03-28-2007, 10:33 AM

Default HR 61 rifles vs. shotguns

HR 61 - "Do shotguns and muzzleloaders pose less risk than centerfire rifles for hunting deer in PA" was released today.

I assume by tomorrow it will be available electronically at:

lbfc.legis.state.pa.us/

[blockquote]Quote:
[hr]
Conventional wisdom holds that shotguns are inherently less risky than rifles when hunting deer. This is evidenced by the fact that the PGC as well as other states have established shotgun only hunting areas. This study, however, has concluded that this is not always the case.

Stated in few words, when considereing extreme, high and moderate firing errors (35, 10 and 5 degrees firing elevations) shotguns and muzzleloaders are less risky than the centerfile rifle. When firing with smaller or no aiming error (approximately 0-degrees firing elevation), a shotgun proved to be riskier than a centerfile rifle. The muzzleloader was always less risky than both the rifle and the shotgun. Eliminating or controlling ricochet seems essential if the shotgun is to be used as an effective risk management option. If ricochets could be controlled, than the shotgun and muzzleloader would be less risky in all cases.[/blockquote]
Old 03-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HR 61 rifles vs. shotguns

I can see where that would be true. If a rifle slug goes tearingout thru the woods, it is going to bury in the first tree it meets. A shotgun slug will, and does, dance around through the woods until it runs out of steam. I have had the life scared outta me a few times, hearing 12 gauge slugs bouncing through the tree tops.