Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

How long can Whitetails survive the deep freeze?

Old 02-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Host of Hosts

Default RE: How long can Whitetails survive the deep freeze?

The snow around here really isn't deep enough to effect their mobility
Good thing there's not alot of deer along the Lake shore of Erie, because we're getting some real good accumulations.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:38 AM

I live in P.a near Brownsville.Lately the cut corn fields here are loaded with deer in the evening.Although I have'nt seen any deerwith antlers still on there heads.I did start shed hunting last week before the latest winter storm hit.I did'nt see any deer or find any sheds but I did see a flock of about 50 turkeys in 1 hollow and none of them appeared in the slightest bit frozen.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

I think we have had about 60 inches in the last ten days here in Phoenix. Up north about 30 minutes they had from 88 in Oswegoto 158 in Redfield in 7 days. That is a lot of snow. The thing is 12 inches falls yesterday and 12 falls today it compacts so there is actually maybe 10 to 14 inches. So 6 or 8 feet may be like 3 or 4. Also all the deer had it real easy up till the middle of January and had a lot of fat. A few weeks of this will not hurt them in the least. We will need some warm ups at the start of March though or we will have problems. I think Redfield averages 250 plus inches of snow every year.