Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Whats hunting land cost you?

Old 02-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats hunting land cost you?

Please get it BACK ON TOPIC!
Old 02-10-2007, 06:54 AM

I have a 99 year lease of 35 acres in Tioga County NY for a part of our take and the occational plowing of her driveway. A VERY lucky deal a nice elderly lady that worked with my wife gave us this deal. I took a doe this year and she got some venison. That's it.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Having your own land has it's positives and negatives.The positives outweigh the negatives and like my father in law always said about land "they're not making anymore" so obviously prices are going to keep climbing.In my opinion depending where land is,there's not a better investment.Managing for wildlife is a blast but requires hard work and alot of money.Then you have to deal with tresspassers tearing the place up on ATV's.I mention this because hikers on foot are welcome.There's taxes and insurance also.Land can vary so much in our neck of the woods and alot of it depends on terrain,location,and timber.It's getting hard to find a cheap piece of land with profitable timber because there's people in that game.A man can get rich over a prime stand of cherry.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:49 AM

I bought my little piece of heaven 4 years ago and recently found out it's worth 4 times that now.Two neighbor's near my propertyare selling their land (1 has moved to PA, the other to make money) and are asking $2200. an acre. One has 45 acres with a single wide mobile home on it and the other,26 arces, no improvements but adjancent to public land.

I think I rather buy land then new car's like my friends have, especialy since I'm getting a bigger return on my investment. Both financially and emotionally.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smart move.20 years ago I thought about buying an acre of land here in se PA for $15,000 but with three small kids at the time money was tight.That acre just sold for $100,000.Where are you going to get a better return on your money then that?
Obviously land in the northern part of PA is alot cheaper but it's still the best investment in my opinion.
Having said that my piece of heaven is going to my sons,their children and so on.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

Compared to land in central PA, acreage in northernPotter and Tioga counties is stilldirt cheap.

Have seen some parcels ofover 50 acres, for a bit more than $2000 per acre. With decent road access, available electric and septic approval, might run closer to $3000 pre acre or so, depending on location? Typically acreage next to state land runs a bit higher. Probably still some more remote mountain ground in larger acreage increments, that are less than that per acre.

My uncle made the comment some years back when area farms of 200 acres or so were beginning to fetch$200,000, that he could've bought the entire valley for that much money, back in 1941 when they bought their farm.He and my dadpaid $4000 for roughly 200 acres w/two houses, large bank barn and five outbuildings.

Dad and I bought 23 acres from him in the late 1970s for$8000, to add to the five acres we already had. Could've bought another 9 acres next to it for about $4000 a few years later, but the ol' man wouldn't go for it and I didn't have an extra four grand at the time.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

RR, that is close to where I'm at. Back in the fall, I saw a timbered parcel on the side of the mountain (fairly steep) very near Milam, with about 72 acres or so forroughly $365k.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

What a great pieco of land that is too RR. Hunted there many times (as a guest).

15 of us bought 300 acres for $120,000 ($400/acre) (1997)....those were the days <in my best Archie Bunker Voice>