Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.
View Poll Results: A poll
I have never missed one report
42.86%
I try to always send them, but forgot a few times
16.88%
50-50
9.09%
Never Send in Cards or Reports
27.27%
My state doesn't require reporting
3.90%
I only send in DMAP reports
0%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

State Harvest Reports

Old 02-03-2007, 11:21 AM

Default RE: State Harvest Reports

Is Maine still staffed by general law enforcement officers who double as game wardens?
Does the operating revenue still come out of tax revenue?
Dunno. Might be worth examining if truly looking for answers.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:41 AM
Typical Buck

Don't know what Maine's status is on those questions. Do know that I've seen this issue of deer check stations come up often for debate over the years, usually "pushed" by those whodemand a more accurate accounting of PA's deer kills and PA's pre-season deer numbers.

In most cases cited as being themodels of accuracy, those states have far fewer hunters, far fewer deer, far fewer deer kills and often are much smaller states in area. Those states also wind up using check station data as one more component of their deer calculations. PA's system of calculation has been studied by otherdeer management professionals and has been found to be acceptable for the purposes of statistical gathering and analysis.

Which after all, is exactly what it's all about: A system that studies data, determines the reliability/repeatability of the system and produces an acceptable result. In PA's case, it's done with far less output of manpower and money to achieve the same endresult. It also entails far less effort on the part of hunters, who do not have to find a check station on their way home.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Automated point of sale licensing and electronic reporting is right around the corner....
Old 02-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Crazy Horse do you hi-jack every thread?? It's getting a little old!!

I send me report cards in every year!!!
Old 02-03-2007, 04:31 PM

Its a good idea. They do it down in Tennesee.What do hunter numbers got to do with it or if your state is bigger than mine. I agree with the guy from Maine. You have to do your taxes and get your car inspected dont you. With all the changes the g/c does each yr whats one more and it would benefit the g/c imagine that.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: DennyF

Don't know what Maine's status is on those questions. Do know that I've seen this issue of deer check stations come up often for debate over the years, usually "pushed" by those whodemand a more accurate accounting of PA's deer kills and PA's pre-season deer numbers.

In most cases cited as being themodels of accuracy, those states have far fewer hunters, far fewer deer, far fewer deer kills and often are much smaller states in area. Those states also wind up using check station data as one more component of their deer calculations. PA's system of calculation has been studied by otherdeer management professionals and has been found to be acceptable for the purposes of statistical gathering and analysis.

Which after all, is exactly what it's all about: A system that studies data, determines the reliability/repeatability of the system and produces an acceptable result. In PA's case, it's done with far less output of manpower and money to achieve the same endresult. It also entails far less effort on the part of hunters, who do not have to find a check station on their way home.
What system did we have when we supposedly had 1.6 million deer and now the g/c doesnt use it anymore. Hope those other states saw this and dont follow behind Pa. too closely!
Old 02-03-2007, 04:42 PM

Here's a question ??

Why don't the butchers and taxidermy people take the tags off the deer and send them in. I'm only saying that cause i know that I don't butcher my own and my butcher doesn't send them in cause i asked him before and he said never !! People should be responsible for there own, but then again people now a days can't even care for themselves !!
Just an Idea !!

Old 02-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Host of Hosts

Why don't the butchers and taxidermy people take the tags off the deer and send them in.
The PGC pays frequent visits to processors, but I don't know about Taxidermists. There are still alot of people who still butcher their own deer so it isn't totally accurate either.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

They visit taxidermists as well but I'm not sure if its solely for the purpose of calculating harvests. Maybe RSB can help us out here and clarify a bit.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Iam not trying to change or hyjack this topic but, here in Maine the wardens are paid for out of the general fund. however all taging stations have a kit that they use to measure the gurth of an antler and an envelope that the hunter must remove a tooth to place in it. Then that is normally picked up later by a biologist, a warden, or in some cases sent into them. Then the research and tally is done from there. AlsoI can agree we do not have a big number of deer here, but Maine is a big state. Maine is scatterd out with not being over crowded as alot of states are, and the deer here can get very big in most areas. If the mild winters keep up exspect to see the deer numbers start rising also. Anyways I believe all this info goes to the biologists first and then the numbers are sent into the states reginal headquarters for a final tally on age and sex of all deer registard. After this gets put all together a report is put out to all tagging stations so everyone knows how the deer hunting has done.

Quick Reply: State Harvest Reports

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.