Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

What is the PGC's plan for HR?

Old 02-01-2007, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is the PG C's plan for HR?

Bailey,the game lands each have a management plan that has to benefit alot wider variety of wildlife than just deer.Some of it is it kept in the deeling sapling stage to benefit certain types of small game and a certain percentage must be kept as a mature forest.It isn't the Pa deer commission.I can't believe people actually complain about the management of our game lannds.We have foodplots,clearcuts,edge cuts andgrouse cuts that look like big crop circles and are rotated every ten years.we wouldn't have a habitat problem in this state if everything was managed like the game lands.

Pheasants are a non-native put and take endeavor.I don't even understand why someone would actually want to hunt for the.At $8 a bird,that gives every hunter three birds to hunt.Big waste of money.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:13 AM

I get a good laugh here.
Bailey, please don't tell anyone you discovered that an old growth forest is a dying forest.
I'm betting the PGC paid a lot of money to keep that revelation under wraps. Dang writers though in Game News keep giving away the secret.

I once went to a forest funeral but couldn't find a seat because all the woodpeckers, bears, turkeys, deer and 463 other species of wildlife were there munching on the goodies provided by the open canopy and rotting carcasses of dead trees.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:36 AM

Hey, you said they are gonna die anyway -- why cut them?
They do what they do, the way they do, when they do, because that is what is mandated, based on forest ecology and practical timber management.
If you have some expertise in forest management please share it with us.
You obviously see no value in having a minority of old growth forests, that's a clue to your expertise. I don't mean that as an insult but anyone who knows anything about wildlife habitat certainly realizes that it is not --- one size fits all. There is benefit to wildlife in "staged" timber.

Quote:
"sure the PGC's propoganda rag, the GameNews defines old growth, tells us what it is."

Which is it? they don't want us to know or they do? Youseem to not be able to make up your mind.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:53 AM

If you get the answer (from a professinal forester) --- will you accept it?

Old 02-01-2007, 09:07 AM

No, you are going way off topic with the grass=timber thing.
HR is tied tohabitat.
Using an analogy of mowing grass speaks volumes for you perpsective on professional forest management.
I'm off to cut firewood now -- I sure are a good guy for doing that.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:01 PM

on an earlier post I mentioned how select cutting of trees provides a monetary gain for the land owner and creates the best of all kinds of habitat.
Why isn't this practice used more by the G.C. foresters over unsightly clear cuts that so often get the tree huggers up in arms.
The lack of any common sense on either side has turned a small problem into what we now call the deer wars.
One side states the we have had to many deer for 40 years ,maybe so. But now we have plans to solve this problem by the near elimination of deer in some areas over a short period of time.
On the other side we have people that refuse to believe that the deer are the problem.Maybe they are .But are they the only problem? Is it poor practices in the past that have removed the very trees we need to produce mast to feed all the states animals.
Discussion is very much needed and an idea that a love for wild things is what this battle is about maybe trying to see the other side should not be as hard asfinding the ever elusive Pa mountain lion.