Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Does PGC deserve a license increase?

Old 01-31-2007, 10:07 AM

Default RE: Does PGC deserve a license increase?

Did you take a hunters safety class?

They always shot one shell from #7 low house & 22 5 shot 50 yard proficiency test here until the new rules last year went into effect.
Just seems to me safe gun handling is better taught with a gun over say a fly rod!
Old 01-31-2007, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does PGC deserve a Lisc increase

That is the ONLY Topic
Old 01-31-2007, 10:23 AM

If the deer arent up in 2-f like my buddies say the g/c should lower the tags. Give the hunters some respect we arent all dummy,s. The reason theyre lowering the tags is the deer arent there anymore now theyre really going to shoot themselves in the foot. I threw out the December issue of game news the budget one. But just calculate 06 doe tags, general license, trappers license, ELK applications. Thats a lot of somolians. How many people are employed by the g/c ?Theres a whole lot of stuff goin on .
Old 01-31-2007, 11:05 AM

ORIGINAL: DougE

They reduced allocations in 3b and 3c also.Why not just take your dog to a preserve?They way you could absorb the whole cost of the birds instead of expecting hunters to kick inwho don't hunt those birds.
Yes they reduced allocations. Maybe I shouldn't have said they should reduce allocation. In my opinon they should decrease the doe season.

I have no problem buying my own birds. I did this past year however, it is hard to find any habitat that will hold birds. I am not going to spend a few hundred dollars to have other hunters kill my birds. Even though you don't agree with the pheasant program it doesn't mean that it is not a good program. The youth pheasant program has been great for kids. It would be nice if some private land owners could set aside some land to allow for native pheasants to return. I have found a very small piece of land where I live where I attempted to reintroduce quail. Unfortunatley the land was bought by a developer and well that is the end of that.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:06 AM
Spike

Pennsylvania hunters -- have to ask ourselves another question -- certainly one the Unified Sportsmen did not ask themselves. That question is "Are we shooting ourselves in the foot by not demanding a license increase?"

This is soooo true. Yes we.. they are. I have no problem whatsoever paying a long overdue $9 fee increase. that's less then a Mcdonalds meal. Maybe I just cherish hunting and wildlife more then some, and am able to keep the big picture in focus.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:14 AM

It's pretty obvious that nobody is going to convince the others that they should take a wider view of things.
Here is a good example:
Yes there are good programs ,but I think most of the problems stem from how much is spent on non game issues when the money all comes from hunters.
Do you even acknowledge that the PGC is responible to manage 467 species of wildlife?
No, of course not. it's all about what "hunters" pay for.
Unfortunately, it never has and still is not that way. The PGC, like it or not, is a "state agency" that represents all citizens interests. (it ain't the PA Hunting Commission)

As long as you don't even recognize the truth of reality, you can't help but be unhappy. Dealing with facts does make a difference.

And then 3 gobblers indicates it is all based on deer numbers. If numbers are down -- decrease doe tags!
Well, I do understand that concept and have growled about deer numbers myself, many years ago. Of course, I was a lot younger then and when the deer on Kahill Mountain disappeared (seemed to) after several good seasons I was pizzed.
But that kind of thinking simply says you don't accept deer management to preserve and improve the ecosystem and you simply base everything on deer. (see above).

And so, why don't you guys just make it simple and say you do not give a hoot for anything, any program, any other species, any increase that would also benefit anyone else --- but give you easy deer shooting.
And oh yeah those "native" (no such thing) pheasants.
[:'(]

Old 01-31-2007, 11:20 AM

I think your statements are inaccurate. I can't speak for everyone others on this board however I certainly care about our ecosystem. So please don't assume that we don't. We have a very legitmate gripe on how the PGC has managed certain things.

By the way, yes there are still native birds in PA. They were reintroduced into Western PA. They certainly can be reintroduced in the rest of the state if we have the right habitat.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:43 AM

Well, dirz I didn't address you in my post, so I don't know what your perspective is. However, I stand by that if a person only talks about deer numbers, that pretty blatantly says that is all they care about.

Hunters, in general, love taking credit for being "conservationists" and for paying the bills for conservation. That certainly is true, but when we start demanding practices that are contrary to sound conservation and "balance" in our ecosystem, then we lose our credibility.

If you have a "very legitimate" gripe, then back it up with science and fact -- skip the "so-and-so said" and the , "I saw this"stuff, unless you have some credibility of fact.

Pheasants are not native to PA -- no matter how long theyv'e been here.
They may be an "adapted" species of Chinese origin, but they are not a native species.

Bailey, you are just so far out there with your "on record" statements that it is evident you just say whatever comes to mind and don't give a hoot for facts or truth.

Hunters "do" pay "most" of the way but not "all" of it. There are grants, there is P/R tax revenues from non-huntingsporting goods sales and there are many, many shared programs that are funded with no license monies.

Why do you even bother to post if you make absolutely no effort to be educated on these things?

You and I may not like that PGC represents all of the citizens, but it has always been that way -- it ain't "new."
If you are serious about not liking it, then do something to support and strengthen the agency so they can truly be independant.
Have you got the guts to do that? Few do. Most find it easier to find fault and point fingerswithout bothering to deal in truth or facts.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hummm - Best (2)Posts Award.Have to buy you somethin nice
Old 01-31-2007, 12:07 PM

Good call on the pheasants. I new that they were Chinese pheasants too. I stand corrected.

Quick Reply: Does PGC deserve a license increase?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.