Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Does PGC deserve a license increase?

Old 01-31-2007, 09:15 AM

Default RE: Does PGC deserve a license increase?

ORIGINAL: DougE

Many hunters feel 2G got hit the hardest with HR.How did the PGC respond?The slashed allocation from 52000 in 2004 to 29000 in 2005 to 19000 in 2006.What blanket approach are you guys talking about and what adjustments haven't been made?Do you guys have information that allocation won't be reduced in some WMU's this year?

Lets see, and I may be off but it costs the PGC about $14 a bird.Two birds would more than pay for your lisence and you have hundreds of thousands of public land to hunt.Sounds like a good deal to me.I sit hear in disbelief wondering how anyone could expect the PGC to actually release farm raised birds to kill.
That was one Management Unit that they reduced!

Second: My dog loves to hunt and I love to watch my dog work. There are no more native birds in Eastern PA. Again, I would have no problem paying extra money for a increase in the allocation.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

They reduced allocations in 3b and 3c also.Why not just take your dog to a preserve?They way you could absorb the whole cost of the birds instead of expecting hunters to kick inwho don't hunt those birds.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dirz1

Many hunters feel 2G got hit the hardest with HR.How did the PGC respond?The slashed allocation from 52000 in 2004 to 29000 in 2005 to 19000 in 2006.What blanket approach are you guys talking about and what adjustments haven't been made?Do you guys have information that allocation won't be reduced in some WMU's this year?

Lets see, and I may be off but it costs the PGC about $14 a bird.Two birds would more than pay for your lisence and you have hundreds of thousands of public land to hunt.Sounds like a good deal to me.I sit hear in disbelief wondering how anyone could expect the PGC to actually release farm raised birds to kill.
That was one Management Unit that they reduced!

Second: My dog loves to hunt and I love to watch my dog work. There are no more native birds in Eastern PA. Again, I would have no problem paying extra money for a increase in the allocation.
Do your homework. 2F was decreased substantially as well. I'm sure there were others. Go look for yourself. DougE was using merely 2G as an example.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:29 AM

Lets see, and I may be off but it costs the PGC about $14 a bird.Two birds would more than pay for your license and you have hundreds of thousands of public land to hunt.Sounds like a good deal to me.I sit hear in disbelief wondering how anyone could expect the PFC to actually release farm raised birds to kill.
The point some are making is the P.G.C. is not run efficiently . And I agree.

Just to make this easy for you Doug the guy I buy pheasants from lives on PA route 408 I will not post his name on a public board but if you want it PM me .He will sell all the males you want for $8.00 and hens for $ 7.00 and he makes a great living doing this a much smaller scale than the P..G.C.
The people in charge seem to do all they can to show their disdain for the ones that support them. The cost cutting that has taken place have been to effect the most people as to make their request seem justified.
Cutting game news from schools ,shutting down the 800 #s & now holding bird hunters ransom for a pheasant stamp now that there are no birds.
Do you really believe that if a pheasant stamp is granted that stockings will go back to precut levels ? I bet Not.
The % of doe license cuts is no where near what it needs to be for the deer heard to grow ,so your 2G point is moot they are still killing deer at a higher rate than they are reproducing! H/R is still taking place!
The price of timber has more than tripled since the last increase yet they refuse to cut it ,gas leases are paying well.
Maybe if they want to get a raise they should try what the rest of the free world does and earn it!!!!!!!!!!!
Are there places where the P.G.C. is doing there job ? Yes there are good programs ,but I think most of the problems stem from how much is spent on non game issues when the money all comes from hunters.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Even at 7 or 8 dollars a bird that's alot of money.That about three birds for the cost of a lisence.My brother and his buddies used to raise pheasants.They buy themas chicks.If memory serves me correctly,once they were so old,the price went up about a nickel a day.I think it cost them somewhere around 5 bucks a bird but that was 15 years ago and they had no overhead.It takes employees to raise the birds for the PGC and that includes,wages,fica taxes,benefits,worker's comp etc.You can't compare the cost to raising them in your backyard compared to a commercial operation.

With operating expenses constantly going up,programs need to be cut without a lisence increase.It's the sportsman who suffer even though they're the one's doing all the complaining.It's kind of like biting your nose off to spite your face.

I have no idea what would happen if there was a pheasant stamp.I imagine if it costs enough,the numbers of birds being stocked would reflect that.Hunters would still complain and refuse to buy them to a certain degree.

The plan was to stabilize the herd in 2G not to increase it.The habitat is just starting to recover,why let the herd increase now?This past year I saw more deer preseason,during the season and post season than I've seen in about 4 years.The herd in 2G has definately increased in areas that have better habitat.In other areas,the habitat is so poor that it's still controlling the deer numbers.In this situation,the worst thing you can do is add more deer to the habitat.

Not all the game and non game programs are paid for with hunter's dollars.Do some researcha ndfind out where that money comes from.Much of it is donated from outside sources,even for the deer programs.

Timber prices for certain trees has fallenDespite that,they still cut about 16 million dollars last year.Stop the instigation and off color insults !
Old 01-31-2007, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where's the money for the guns going to come from?

Idon't agree with everything they do especially the orange requirements.It fries my butthat I have to wear orangein spring gobbler season but I don't think it's worth handcuffing them over it so they have to cut programs.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:52 AM

You didn't ask for the "backyard " operation I was referring to but I'll bet he raised and sold my than your guys did.

What timber prices are lower now than in the early 90's?
And at 16 million theydidn't even reach 1 % of their timber so how could they possibly need more money?
Old 01-31-2007, 09:54 AM

The clubs have always had guns available from members ,common now your just reaching.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

My brother and his friends didn't sell them so your probably correct.They simply raised them to work their dogs with.Hunting for farm raised anything isn't really my cup of tea so I never participatedbut whatever,as long as it's legal.

The price for red oak went waydown over the past year.I'm not sure where it was in the early 90's.Do youknow what percent of each game land has in commericially valuable timber?Call and ask your local land manager.He can give you a detailed explanation.Better yet,come to one of the many habitat tours offered for free and you can ask them in person.Each game land has a specific management plan.They have to provide diversity to benefit other animals that don't thrive ina clearcut.It's not all about the deer.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

What do want them to do with the guns?It's a hunter safety cource,not a shooting lesson.I guess they could get more in depth but it would take more time and cost more money.

Quick Reply: Does PGC deserve a license increase?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.