Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

Old 12-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

ORIGINAL: tmeservey

I would change the rifle opener to Monday again.
I would shorten our rifle season to 1 week.
Longer Bow season...October 1'st would be nice, good weather and can pattern deer based on food sources.
Limit every hunter to one buck tag, you choose your weapon.
This is my ideal season for starters.
nnnnoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Spike

I am a retired & disabled hunter who would like to see XB become legal here in NYS as all of the other surrounding states have a XB season in place and have had so for a couple of years now as NYS like everything else for the sportsman comes in last [>:]
Old 02-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

Kind of a loaded question. I like hunting with all weapons also. I do feel that once the guns go off, it kind of takes the wind out of my bowhunting sails as it were. I really don't see what difference it makes as long as you have one or 2 tags and once you fill it/them you are done. If there are areas that need more harvesting, give more tags.

I would say bow opens in late september-early october. It should run a month or so, and then maybe an early muzzle loader.
Follow that with gun openeing by the 14th of the month so you actually have a decent shot at seeing a rutting buck.
From there you could go to a late muzzleloader and then back to bow before years end.
I think in an effort to rectify the often skewed buck doe ratio, there should be no more hunting after the antlers start to drop. Otherwise you may be killing mature bucks with no antlers to verify sex. (unless of course an area is so overrun with deer that population reduction is more important than ratios.