Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Frederick Watershed Deer

Old 01-10-2007, 05:33 PM

Default Frederick Watershed Deer

did anyone besides me hunt the 'shed this year? Seems like it wasnt hunted as hard this past season. Lots of bangs on opening day but the rest of the 2 week season was quieter than usual.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Frederick Watershed Deer

Have not hunted it for a few years but have always killed deer there .
One friend 3 yrs ago killed a nice Piebald 8 pt buck there.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted the shed for about 3 years. On the final year the thing that stopped me was my father and I were walking a brush thicket on the way back to the truck. There were 3 guys up ahead of us and we kicked up 3 does, they started unloading on them sending bullets past us, the cars parked on the access road and over the access road. They did not care where their bullets went or what was behind what they were shooting at. We vowed never to hunt there again, sad too because I live like 20 min from there.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:15 PM

Gotta love some of the so called "hunters" on public land. My biggest fear is some fool shooting my direction. Where I hunt up there, it takes me over an hour to walk in. Its like having private land. I dont see anybody else that far back. Great place to hunt if you're willing to put some effort into it.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:33 AM

I have often thought about hunting the watershed but everytime I mention the place to someone I hear a horor story like Mossy's. That has kept me far away from the place. Maybe one of these yearsI will venture in there with my bow and do some hunting, but I doubt you will ever see me in there during a gun season. I live20 minutes from the place and have never stepped foot in those woods.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, the watershed gets scary during gun season. I hunted there a couple of times my first year. I never heard just one shot at a time, usually 4 or 5 in a row. Either there are some monster deer that take than many shots to put down, or else a lot of lead flying through the woods.

-Rick C.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

Not this year, spent my time on the Shore. I will be there next Friday hunting coyote though before or after running to Bonitz Bros.in Harrisburg.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:51 PM

walk more than a half mile from the parking areas. I guarantee you wont run into any other hunters. Works great...dont have to worry about getting shot, plus all the deer get pushed your way
Old 01-12-2007, 02:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pressure really lightens up on weekdays. Most of the city fellers only come on Saturday. Lots of deer but not the easiest place to hunt.