Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Anyone read DEER WARS?

Old 01-10-2007, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anyone read DEER WARS?

Sounds like inetesting reading.
Ok at 20 bucks I'll grab one. I was going to get one anyway but 30 bucks is an ouch for a paperback.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

Since there is no way that anyone could possibly be totally unbiased on this subject, it amazed me at how even his reporting is in this book.
That's because Bob Fryeis truly a stellar feller.

While it is a paperback, itis a fairly large one (about 7"x8.5"x one inch thick).There are over 300 pages including foot notesand dozens of photos illustrating certain points orissues.

In all seriousness,BobFrye is a very serious, thoughtfulperson and did a good job of researching and documenting the history of deer management in PA.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Host of Hosts

In all seriousness,BobFrye is a very serious, thoughtfulperson and did a good job of researching and documenting the history of deer management in PA.
Denny, I agree! He did fine job with this book. It's really a shame more people here don't show any interest in educating themselves on some of the issues they may be lacking information to make a responsible decision. No! Instead they would rather quote an articleby Slinsky or the USP.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

Only thing Slinsky has on Bob Frye, is that he's a snappier dresser. Bob generallylooks like he just walked off'n the set ofLeave It To Beaver.

Deer Wars is a thoughtful catalog of Pennsylvania's deer managment efforts over many years, with almost every viewpoint represented,considered and explored.

Many hunters, especially youngerones who weren't around to experience the many twists and turns deer management has taken here, are unaware of the history. Without understanding how we got "here", it's harder to understand where we're going and why.The book might be an eye-opener for many, if they would but read it.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

I bought Deer Wars from Amazon.com when it was released back in September. It is a great read for anyone interested in deer management in general, not only in Pennsylvania.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Spike

Yep. I'm on the last chapter now. Excellent read. Add it to the "must read" list right under "100 Years of Wildlife Conservation"!
Old 01-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the tip guys. I am going to pick it up this afternoon.