Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Sunday hunting in PA

Old 01-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Sunday hunting in PA

..if there aren't enough nativepheasants to hunt why is there a season on them?
There never were any "native" pheasants to begin with. Some still miss the good ol' days of plentiful pheasants and still demand the opportunity to hunt them. Therefore, we still have pheasants, despite the cost of raising and stocking them.

I'm in favor of more Sunday hunting and the extenison of "quitting time" to one half hour longer. The most recent state to adopt Sunday hunting, was Ohio. All of the excuses and arguments we're hearing now against Sunday hunting in PA, were dealt with in Ohio. Nothing that was predicted by their anti-Sunday hunting opponents, came to pass once it was adopted.

It should be a non-issue, as there is no logical reason not to have more Sunday hunting opportunities in PA.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BaileyHill

Those that think it should be allowed butONLY for "their chosen weapon" are not sportsmen but selfish slobs.
Those that insult other members join the list of banned members (which is getting longer).
My worry of landowner reactions to firearm hunting is a legitimate one and not born of selfishness. I also hunt with guns, I just don't do it around peoples houses and residential areas. There are slobs out there that gun hunt in my area that ignore safety zones and trespass at will, and to have it happen on Sundays too might be the last straw, and result in posted properties. I know a crew that sneaks around very close to houses and have no qualms of touching of a round or five if they see a deer. They grab the thing and hightail it outta there before anybody has a chance to catch them. Happens every year.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

At this point,I could care less because I'm self-employed and can take a day off to hunt whenever I want.On top of that,I use sundays as a day to do some in-season scouting and to reposition stands.With that said,I see no valid reason to prohibit hunting on sundays.I think it's selfish to give many guys just one day a week to hunt and many don't even have that much time.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry guys.

I really don't want Sunday hunting. I'm off on weekends and I usually have stuff to do. It is nice to have a day when hunting isn't allowed, to get caught up on things and to do family things.

If Sunday hunting passed, I wouldn't be terribly upset and, yes, I probably go out hunting on a Sunday too.

I also feel game animals need a break. I like going out hunting on a Monday or Tuesday, during archery season. I think deer settle down a bit when they aren't hunted on Sunday and by Monday or Tuesday they are moving around a bit.

This is just what I've observed.

I just think Sunday hunting would really pressure deer and other game.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Host of Hosts

Undecided!
Old 01-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with livbuck on archery Sunday hunting, but for a couple different reasons. Most archers only get one day a week to hunt, Saturday, if they're lucky. Hunting on Sundays would open up the opportunity to let them get a day in the field they otherwise might have missed. On the other hand, I would guess that most gun hunters take vacation during the two week season. There is no need to have additional days. I am lucky enough to have a job were I get ample vacation time. So, I use it mostly in archery season. I gun hunt too, and usually take the first week off. I just don't see the need to have an additional day afield during that period.

On the other hand, I do believe in giving the animals a day of rest. I may sound strange for saying this, but feel sorry for them during season, especially the gun season. They're being chased all over the county and are definitely on edge by the second or third day.

Of course I'm the same person who really wishes they would get rid of this concurrent season crap as well.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

just a reply from north of the border (NY)

when I first can remember hunting, NY didn't allow Sunday hunting. We nowhave had it for many years, and low and behold, we have not been struck down by the Almighty. Seems lots of the replies are a bit "selfish" - "I" can take off any day, "I" like to have a day off, etc. What about those that don't have weekdays off? What does Sunday hunting hurt? Seems that this rule is "archaic". Let those that want a day of rest, rest, let those that want to hunt, hunt. I was actually suprised to see that there was still a no sunday hunting reg in place.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well OK then guys, you changed my mind. Let's allow all hunting on Sundays and let the chips fall where they may. Landowner issues may not even materialize like some have said. I'm just conditioned to hear the few whiners on this that may seem like a majority but really are not. We have had doomsday scenarios of hordes of land barons closing their properties to all hunting and I realize this is probably nonsensical. Let's give it a whirl. The landowners can do as they wish on their properties as it always has been.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Typical Buck

I love the idea of sunday hunting
I am from NY and a weekend visitor to PA,
many times getting to PA on saturday, with no time to hunt
Sunday hunting shouldnt affect amount of deer harvested as that is controlled through License sales and DMPS
does it matter whether 100K deer are harvested on saturdays or whether 50K on Sat and 50K on sunday?
if PGC is worried of the effects of sunday hunting, they can phase it in,
such as sundays only allowed in december or so,

Old 01-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

It looks like I'm retired now due to health reasons so i can get out any day I'm able but I think its more important that we make the extra day available to those who cant get out that often. For most guys with a regular weekday job, that means doubling his potential time.

I can certainly remember when I worked all week waiting for the weekend and then putting up with a downpour on Saturday only to have the weather get perfect by Sunday.

I suspect that the extra one day isnt going to affect harvests all that much.

As for private property, it should be a matter of permission which is, unfortunately, not something that some hunters bother to obtain. Maybe doubling the fine for hunting without permission (tresspassing) on Sunday would help it get support?

As for public land, hunters are the only ones who currently get discriminated against on Sunday. Every other user of public land cando his or her thing on Sunday and every other day.

As for giving the critters a break, I think they already get that all through the weekdays with maybe the exception of opening days of deer and bear seasons. Weekday hunting pressure ouside of the openers is light to non-existent on most days.

Quick Reply: Sunday hunting in PA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.