Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

"PA deer mismanagement"

Old 12-22-2006, 02:34 PM

Default RE: "PA deer mismanagement"

My question is? Who are they goanna cry to when the deer population gets out of hands in the future? People will leave this sport and not care for it any more. Who is goanna control the deer herds in the future in Pa? They goanna cry to the hunters to come back who they turned their backs on and quit. I don't think it will work. Is the forest industry goanna make up the difference in lost sales to the PGC from the loss of hunters? Not a chance. The PGC are goanna be out of a job or working for the forestry. No matter what, The PGC has managed to put a hurtin on the deer and their revenue for them to stay a float. As was mentioned before and something to think about. Why couldn't they have the AR program along with a large deer population? This alone should make you question who they are working for other than the hunters. Deer have survived quite well in huge numbers before man started to play with mother nature. I bet I could take one deer and cage it in on a 1 acre wooded lot withfew oak trees and some small saplingsthe rest pine with some vegitation and not feed that deer and it will not die. Any bets on this. Yet they only want how many deer per square miles? And I got one caged up living on one acre without human help surviving just fine. Time for another new excuse. It does sound like why the invasion of Iraq. So many excuses except for the real reason why. The mighty $$$. This is how I see the management being worked for. The mighty $$$
Old 12-22-2006, 02:43 PM

ORIGINAL: sproulman

DOUGE,i did not see many deer here on publicland this fall hunting small game..if i know there is 3 deer left in area, i could kill all 3 ,rest assured of that..

i am not that type of hunter..

1 deer is enough..and for long time it has to be buck..no doe..

douge, no disrespect like you give me,but killing 5 deer like you did is something i would not be proud of..i certainly would not tell anyone..

how about passing on doe next year so we all can enjoy hunting in future..

Sproul, May I say honestly to you. There is not enough people to pass on does that will make a difference to the deer herd. You can try all you want, It's not goanna make a difference. Your just about maybe 5% maybe if that who will pass on a doe or fawn. The other 95% are just goanna whack the hell out of them cause we are allowed and permited to do so. Your voice cannot be heard over the hunters who only have 3 or 4 days to hunt and kill a deer. They are goanna take what ever they find. The last day of the hunt, Is when the horn hunters turn into meat hunters. It's brown and down crowd they join. This is the truth,Your group does not have a chance to save the deer herds if the PGC continues to allow the slaughter.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll take your bet.That deer will be dead the first year of a failed mast crop,probably before that.

I put two horses in about a half acre pasture last August,that was full of clover.Within 3 weeks,every single bit of it was grazed down to the dirt.Deer have thesame effect on the habitat.

The reason we can't have a huge herd with antler restrictions is becausea huge herd will destroy the habitat like it has accross the northern tier.I can't get over the denial so many hunters have.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: DougE

I'll take your bet.That deer will be dead the first year of a failed mast crop,probably before that.

I put two horses in about a half acre pasture last August,that was full of clover.Within 3 weeks,every single bit of it was grazed down to the dirt.Deer have thesame effect on the habitat.

The reason we can't have a huge herd with antler restrictions is becausea huge herd will destroy the habitat like it has accross the northern tier.I can't get over the denial so many hunters have.
Your talking about 2 800LB animals in an area half the size of an acre,Comparing it to one 120 to 150lb animal on one full acre. Big BIG difference there.
If that is the case abouthabitat then why haven't the deer died off in previous years from starvation before the AR program. That is a crock of sh excuseI have ever heard with history to back my statement. The deer are actually smaller in sizenow then before the AR program all so. Explain this if the habitat was so bad? Many hunters can agree with this all so.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Host of Hosts

Your just about maybe 5% maybe if that who will pass on a doe or fawn.
Count me in this number! Killing does and fawns won't happen by my hand atleast until I see with my own eyes that numbers are increasing.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:14 PM

ORIGINAL: TRYKONOISSEUR

Your just about maybe 5% maybe if that who will pass on a doe or fawn.
Count me in this number! Killing does and fawns won't happen by my hand atleast until I see with my own eyes that numbers are increasing.
And that is your choice to do so TRYK. I think that if everyone did shoot every deer they seen,It would speed up the no doe hunting or the start of limiting the sales of doe tags in larger numbers than the past. I could be wrong. But I think the ones who let the deer walk are the ones prolonging this antlerless restrictions being brought on to us. Just my thoughts. Maybe we should try to fill all of our tags. Then the slaughter will stop for sure alot faster than nothing has been done yet.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DougE

Rich,you have to kill over 30% of the doe each year just to keep it stable.When hunters are only killing 8%(the amount killed last year)or lower of the collared doe,it's reasonable to conclude that the hunters aren't the ones reducing the herd.
Those couple of collared deer that were killed was probably 50% of the entire herd.
Seriously,deerfly answered part of my question but I'm thinking deer populations,habitat,predators,and fawn survival would throw the 30% in either direction.Also you would think winters would have an affect.Am I wrong here or can the 30% be a good bit more or less with those factors?
Doug,deerfly,anybody?
Old 12-22-2006, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I notice that the naysayers have no, none, nada, zip, zero, answers as to how it is that such a low percentage of tagged and collared doe are being harvested by hunters in an area where hunting pressure is supposed to be the culprit in the declining numbers.

One year could have been a fluke but two years shows a pattern developing. It obviously aint the doe tags or the hunting pressure that's responsible here!
Old 12-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Host of Hosts

I think that if everyone did shoot every deer they seen,It would speed up the no doe hunting or the start of limiting the sales of doe tags in larger numbers than the past. I could be wrong. But I think the ones who let the deer walk are the ones prolonging this antlerless restrictions being brought on to us
I can understand your thinking on this, but by doing so you have to assume that they want to fix any problems. I'm not sure they want to fix anything, so I just have to do my part for a few years by not taking any does or fawns. Or until I see them being serious about the concerns of hunters. I can't trust anyone to fix anything except myself at this point. Maybe I can save 30 deer over the next few years.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh boy, here we go with the numbers smoke screen! Oh well it wont be up for long

Quick Reply: "PA deer mismanagement"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.