Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

"PA deer mismanagement"

Old 12-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: "PA deer mismanagement"

ORIGINAL: germain

Doug,one year the predator kill was up in Quehanna and the other year the fawn kill was close to that of the farmland.That area does have cover with alot of laurel in places.Up on the wild area there's alot of what I call elephant grass.
If what you're saying is true why were the deer numbers so high for so many years in wide open woods?
i remember,oh about 1975,my, the deer that was in that area of quehanna,lots of deer..we used to go up wykoff run from driftwood..

the DOE killing took its toll..i saw camps at driftwood that had 25 DOE hanging from camp porchs..hunting went down from that time on..

same in my hunting area..i used to stop hunters and say,FELLAS,CAN YOU JUST TAKE A FEW DOE IN MY AREA,THEY SAID, SPROUL GET HELL OUT OF WAY..

well, now you know why deer are not there..only difference between that time and now those same HUNTERS are shooting FAWNS now..

before they shot only nice doe or small doe so there was some deer left ,FAWNS, for next year..

these greedy ,blood thiristy ,hunters i am seeing now are shooting FAWNS to pay for license and meat..

i stopped at camp that i know, they only hunted bucks this year in their area..they hunted all their doe in westmoreland county and all camp back with pick-up full of doe..they slaughted the doe down there this year..

Old 12-28-2006, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll sent it to you.I bet I'm better at missing grouse than you are.You wanna hit SGL 93?

Sproul,I stated in an earlier post that usually the winner in the mosquito creek hunt were usually in the 40+lb range.A 47 pount yote is a big one but not anything spectacular.A 67 lb coyote is huge and definately out of the ordinary.I'd have to see it to believe it.I know none that bighave ever been brought into any of the taxidermists around here and none have ever been killed in the Mosquito creek hunt that even approached that weight.

How many coyotes have you trapped in the last 8 years?I know some guys that are pretty serious about trapping them and they aren't catching many more now than they were 10 years ago.Some years they catch less.

I have some copies of old newspaper articles from the 30's and 40's with pictures of coyotes killed in Elk county.They didn't just suddenly appear in one year.You're trying to lead in to the conspiracey theory about them being trucked in and that's absolutely false,regardless of what the president of your sportsman's club says.

I saw far more coyotes and bears 4-5 years ago than I do now.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

question for ya sproul,as I recall along 144 where the fire went through it's really thick.What are the deer populations like in there?
And do you know any Brooks family from snowshoe,moshannon?
Old 12-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

SGL 93 would be a good halfway point for us doug.On my side there's good grouse habitat but I haven't jumped any in there this year.If you have any particular spots that would work.If not we did pretty good around camp this year.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I gotta get off this puter and do some outdoor work .Cleaning up dog poop is on top of my list.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: germain

question for ya sproul,as I recall along 144 where the fire went through it's really thick.What are the deer populations like in there?
And do you know any Brooks family from snowshoe,moshannon?
douge, my friend did do better on coyotes, 5 years ago than he did last year..reason is, i think, not him, is when there is lotsof snow, yotes stay to roads and pipelines..

most trappers cover territory,they put traps all along roads..this way they can see traps without walking in woods and use binuculars to check them..

last few years the winters have been warm with no snow or less snow..so, yotes stay in woods or on pipelines and dont walk the roads as much..

so, trappers have traps near roads and yotes are WAYBACK as some want you to think..thats it, DOUGE, they are WAYBACK!! oh my!!

germain,there was more buck in there this year BUT poaching did number on them..we found 5 bucks without heads on and 1 with head on..this was in the newspaper..if i had guess which way poachers came from it would be SNOWSHOE AREA or UP BEECHCREEK RD.from beechcreek..i dont think they were from renovo,just guess..

i hunted grouse there with my beagle mix..it was so thick, i could not get thru it..i really did not see a lot of deer there..i will pm you in next few weeks after talking to camps in that area on what they saw..

i did see lots of traps and my beagle got in then 2 times..i saw yote poo all over place..
Old 12-28-2006, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm getting off this thing to get the muzzy stuffer out and go shoot a deer!
Old 12-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok,let me get this strait.Your friend did better on yotes 5 years ago which is three years after they appeared.How can that be?I thought they were all over now.Furthermore,I wasn't aware that we hada bad winter 5 years ago.From my observations,coyotes do an aweful lot of traveling on logging roads and skidder paths at all times of the year,regardless of thepresence of snow.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I find most coyote sign on gas lines, logger roads, main deer trails etc. Yote poop is everywhere. I seldom see a track unless there is snow, so poop is the giveaway. I think they mark territory with lines of poop.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DougE

Ok,let me get this strait.Your friend did better on yotes 5 years ago which is three years after they appeared.How can that be?I thought they were all over now.Furthermore,I wasn't aware that we hada bad winter 5 years ago.From my observations,coyotes do an aweful lot of traveling on logging roads and skidder paths at all times of the year,regardless of thepresence of snow.
its hard for me,i guess to get thru to you..when there is snow,yotes will walk the roads that are used,snow is less there..small mice etc will be in the storm drains..they go there during winter,so do other animals..

if snow is less, yotes will stay on logging roads etc MORE as its easier for them..if no snow,they will stay on them all time and pipelines etc..

snow is what brings them to the ROADS WE DRIVE..walk the roads, as i do, and se if you find any poo when there is NO SNOW..then walk roads after a SNOW STORM..you will find poo..

what i was trying to get thru to you, us trappers put traps ALONG ROADS for yotes..if the snow is less. like this year and last etc. less yotes will be caught..they will be WAYBACK, like is buzzword on logging rds, pipelines, deer trails..

my friends traps cover 4 counties,elk, cameron, potter,clinton, you believe that..he starts daily at 5 am and gets home at 6pm..he also keeps me in touch on WHAT DEER DENSITY HE IS SEEING..

hell, he is there everyday, 7 days a week..he is seeing VERY FEW DEER..maybe they are WAYBACK,hmmmmmmmmm...

Quick Reply: "PA deer mismanagement"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.