Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

USP Question

Old 12-17-2006, 04:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default USP Question

I was reading your website and noticed this.
[ol][*]Cougar bounty?[*]Wolf,coyote hybrids?[/ol]
Is there proof of either of these in Pa?

PREDATOR CONTROL
The PGC has permitted large predators populations to increase dramatically. Predator populations need urgent control as they have become a pandemic to wildlife health and a threat to the peace and tranquility of residents living in rural areas of Pennsylvania. Placing a bounty on mountain lions, wolf-coyote hybrids and coyotes would solve the overabundance of large predators. A public hearing should be held by the legislature on large animal predators
Old 12-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: USP Question

I am not sure of the Cougar but the PGC admits that the Coywolf is here.

Coyotes Expanding Call of the Wild in Pennsylvania
By Tom Venesky, Wilkes-Barre, Pa., Times Leader [/align]Oct. 14--KINGSTON TWP. -- Residents along Bunker Hill Road are learning to live with a new neighbor -- one that isn't very sociable, won't hesitate to swipe a small pet and makes an enormous ruckus at night. [/align]In many areas of Luzerne County, residents find themselves living beside coyotes. Sometimes the canines come close to homes; many times they serenade residents at night with a chorus of yips and howls. It's an occurrence that Pennsylvania Game Commission officials said is increasing, and one that isn't likely to go away. [/align]"The reports from urban and suburban areas are more common," said Tom Hardisky, regional wildlife biologist with the game commission's Northeast Region office in Dallas. "We had a coyote complaint in an urban area this year. We never had that before (in the region), and that tells me they're expanding their range."[/align]Bunker Hill Road resident Denise Connors has experienced the coyote expansion numerous times this year. All but one of the encounters was dangerous, she said. [/align]"This summer they were after my mother's beagle next door. The dog was barking and the coyotes were circling her," Connors said. "I turned the outside lights on and they ran. They always run when you put the lights on."[/align]Another encounter found Connors looking over her shoulder, although the canines weren't visible. [/align]"I was going for a walk one night along the road and there are no streetlights. The coyotes started howling on one side of the road, then the other," she said. "It was freaky. [/align][/align]
[/align][/align]"I've lived here for 12 years, and the sightings have increased this year. I'm not concerned yet, but if they get more brazen then it's a different story."[/align][/align]Hardisky attributed the increase in coyote sightings to two factors: since the canines migrated into the state in the 1960s their numbers have swelled and their traditional habitats are filled. And coyotes have grown more tolerant of humans as they have expanded from mountainous areas to farming areas and into suburbia. [/align]Although coyote sightings are common throughout the county, there are some hotspots, including Dorrance and Hollenback townships, the Lehman and Shickshinny areas, Rice Township in Mountain Top and the Back Mountain. [/align]Kingston Township police officer John Fuches has seen them as well, and last week he shot a 24-pound female coyote while hunting in the Bunker Hill area. [/align]Fuches said he has seen at least three coyotes in the area, and he said there could be more. [/align]"I know the neighbors are hearing them at night. It seems like they're more prevalent everywhere," Fuches said. [/align]Game Commission Wildlife Conservation Officer Jim Jolley, whose district includes Bunker Hill, said he hasn't had any coyote complaints from residents, but he's not surprised they inhabit the area. [/align]"I'd be more surprised if they didn't see any up there. They're all over the place," he said. [/align]Jolley said coyotes aren't a threat to children, but they will eat cats and small dogs. [/align]Hardisky said coyotes are most visible during the fall because the young, which aren't as elusive, are starting to wander. Years ago, the game commission estimated the state's coyote population at between 20,000 and 30,000. Hardisky said the figure today is in excess of 50,000, and the canines are starting to max out some of their traditional habitats. [/align]"The only limiting factor right now is food," he said. [/align][/align]Pennsylvania's coyotes have wolf genes, which they picked up when they crossbred with wolves in Canada, Hardisky said. As a result, Eastern coyotes are larger than their western counterparts, weighing between 60 and 70 pounds. Hardisky said the presence of wolf genes contributes to several color phases -- black, silver and brown -- in coyotes. [/align][/align]Still, despite their large size and ominous presence, Hardisky said our local coyotes should be appreciated, not feared. [/align]"They're a part of nature and they are here to stay," he said. "There's no way we're going to eliminate them, so we need to learn to live with them."[/align]SCARE THEM OFF [/align]------ [/align]Pennsylvania Game Commission Regional Biologist Tom Hardisky said there are measures homeowners can take to prevent coyotes from coming too close. [/align]If a coyote does come into your yard, Hardisky said to make a lot of loud noise to scare the animal away. Don't be intimidated by them, he said. [/align]"If you make annoying noises and show threatening behavior toward them, they'll get out of there and remember it," Hardisky said. "Make the experience negative for the coyote."[/align]Tom Venesky, a Times Leader staff writer, may be reached at 829-7230
[/align]
Old 12-17-2006, 05:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I believe about the wolf hybrid after talking with a guy that traps and kills nuisance animals.

Thanks for the article.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are not wolf / coyote hybrids. They are eastern coyotes.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:30 PM

They are a crossbreed between redwolfs and coyotes. Why you think they are much larger than out west? They are from canada and did not migrate here from the west but from the north.(canada)
Old 12-18-2006, 06:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

My biggest question was the Cougar Bounty,why have a bounty on something that might not even exist.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

My biggest question was the Cougar Bounty,why have a bounty on something that might not even exist.
There are some within the USP that beleive that Insurance companies and the PGC are conspiring to stock coyotes wolves and cougars in PA.

Maybe we need a bounty on UFO's too
Old 12-18-2006, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are a hybrid, this has been proven through DNA testing. They migrated here from Canada. They were not stocked by State Farm, Geico or AIG.
I did see BTB releasing a cougar/wolf hybrid near EC's house the other day though, although I believe this to be an isolated incident fueled by ongoing secular tensions and not related in any way to the actuarian tables and their effect on the indemnity industry profit margins.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:15 AM

I hopethe cougar/wolf-hybridonly eatsbucks.
As much as some whomonly hunt with archery gear for 140" bucks or better, may see themselves as a member of an elite superior deer hunting fraternity, I see myself as a deer hunter first whom chooses not to violate the hunt with the "gotta have bigger antlers" syndrom. We far out number the horn crowd a fact that these bone mongers would be well advised to open their eyes to. As it is we whom have the largest voice on deer management issues.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eagle chickie

I hopethe cougar/wolf-hybridonly eatsbucks.
As much as some whomonly hunt with archery gear for 140" bucks or better, may see themselves as a member of an elite superior deer hunting fraternity, I see myself as a deer hunter first whom chooses not to violate the hunt with the "gotta have bigger antlers" syndrom. We far out number the horn crowd a fact that these bone mongers would be well advised to open their eyes to. As it is we whom have the largest voice on deer management issues.
WOW! It is so refreshing to see some new folks joining with a plethora of common sense information!

With any luck, this mindset will have PA deer hunting back where it belongs in no time!!!

Then maybe I won`t have to travel every year to.....

Ohio
Illinois
Wisconsin
Iowa(every 2-3 years)
Kansas
Texas
Missouri
Alberta
Saskatchewan
Kentucky

in order to kill something bigger than a button buck because SOME folks seem to like killing them here.[&:]

Heck, I even gotta give Oklahoma a shot this year.

Sorry to hijack the thread Charlie, and I have yet to hear of a Cougar bounty. But with the USP.......ANYTHING is possible.

BTW, hey BTB, when I get to Oklahoma late on 12-26 and then Texas on 1-01-07, should I start shooting button bucks now instead of holding out for the big boys? Is this the NEW game management strategy?

Quick Reply: USP Question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.