Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

USP Question

Old 12-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: USP Question

ORIGINAL: eagle chickie

I hopethe cougar/wolf-hybridonly eatsbucks.
As much as some whomonly hunt with archery gear for 140" bucks or better, may see themselves as a member of an elite superior deer hunting fraternity, I see myself as a deer hunter first whom chooses not to violate the hunt with the "gotta have bigger antlers" syndrom. We far out number the horn crowd a fact that these bone mongers would be well advised to open their eyes to. As it is we whom have the largest voice on deer management issues.
Here's a quote from EC in another thread just a few weeks ago:

Heck I have no problem with the PGC reducing deer numbers on public land, I have killed all 5 of my BB on public land . But I never hit the release on my own lands on any buck under 8pt/16"/3 yrs old.
Which EC are we talking to today? It seems that at certain times she pursues "the bone" and other times doesn't wantthe bonenear her. To put it another way, when she's on her own turf, size matters but when she's away from home, anything with....uh ... buttons will do.

BC, I guess it depends on whether you're hunting your own ground or hunting where others hunt as well. Or maybe it just depends on what time of the month you're looking for "the bone"

Good luck in Oklahoma!
Old 12-18-2006, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

Speakin' of the USP and their propensity to become alarmed about declining deer number conspiracies; predator conspiracypossibilities and the like, this one is in response to their "Chicken Little" campaign of last August, concerning their misinterpretation oflicense sales data:

"This time, as of the end of November, we are 1 (one) percent behind last year for general hunting license sales. What's more, nonresident general hunting license sales went from being down 9 percent as of the end of October to being down 5 percent as of the end of November. While a decrease of one percent still is nothing to celebrate -- as it still is a decline -- I would argue that this should put to rest the claims of some that the "sky is falling.

Other license sales figures have held rather steady: archery, down one percent (down one percent as of the end of last month; muzzleloader, down four percent (down five percent last month); bear up one percent (up one percent last month).

However, furtaker license sales are up 10 percent (6 percent as of the end of last month), which is a good sign that more are interested in the limited bobcat seasons, as well as the other furbearer hunting and trapping opportunities."

Old 12-18-2006, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: livbucks

They are a hybrid, this has been proven through DNA testing. They migrated here from Canada. They were not stocked by State Farm, Geico or AIG.
I did see BTB releasing a cougar/wolf hybrid near EC's house the other day though, although I believe this to be an isolated incident fueled by ongoing secular tensions and not related in any way to the actuarian tables and their effect on the indemnity industry profit margins.

Wasn't me! Whatever you think you saw, FUGHETTABOUDIT! Unless you want to sleep with the fishes!
Old 12-18-2006, 02:38 PM

Big Country, I seen Ohio on your list. How did you do there? I've been thinking of either taking my pop up camper out and hunting public land or leasing some land with my cousin. What would you recommend? I checked out licenses and they are pretty reasonable compared to IL. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: chr103yod

Big Country, I seen Ohio on your list. How did you do there? I've been thinking of either taking my pop up camper out and hunting public land or leasing some land with my cousin. What would you recommend? I checked out licenses and they are pretty reasonable compared to IL. Thanks.
Unfortunately, due to other commitments I have only hunted Ohio for two days so far this year. I am trying to get out there on Wednesday and Thursday of this week if I can. I am definately going to hunt Ohio for a few day when I return from Oklahoma and Texas in mid January.

If you can find some good land to lease that is the way I would go, but there is a lot of good public land available if you do your homework. I am hunting private ground that two friends of mine have in southwest Ohio, just above Cincinatti.

Ohio sure does have some huge bucks!